Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 -- ISSN 1529-1057
ITS Project Manager - GeoDecisions (a division of Gannett Fleming) - Location: Philadelphia, PA/NJ/DEGeoDecisions is a division of Gannett Fleming Inc., an award-winning planning, design, and construction management firm with more than 1,800 employees in over 45 offices around the country. GeoDecisions is currently seeking an ITS Project Manager in the mid-Atlantic region. Responsibilities will include: working with project engineers and planners to deliver ITS planning and design projects; preparing plans, specifications and costs estimates (PS&Es); writing ITS strategic plans, concepts of operations and similar ITS planning/programming documents; completing proposals, presentations and other business development activities; maintaining positive client relationships; and managing and mentoring ITS staff. The ideal candidate will have a BS in Engineering and 8 or more years of experience in ITS planning, design and construction services support, preferably in a consulting environment. Experience with the planning and design of transportation management systems (DMS, CCTV, HAR, Incident Detection, Ramp Metering, etc.) is required. Strong analytical and oral and written communications skills are imperative. Familiarity with ITS communications systems and a PE is a plus. Please follow this link to apply: http://www.gfnet.com/careers-joblist.asp?ReqID=10199 EOE
1) Buried Metal at London Airport Affecting Aircraft
Iron and steel below runway leading to significant navigation problems at London City Airport.
Link to Reuters story:
Link to report from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch:
2) Censored at the Airport
John Wayne Airport officials modified a sculpture without the artist's permission, saying two figures depicted dead people and might upset travelers.
Link to story in the Los Angeles Times:
3) New York State Department of Transportation Expands Its NYS Spatial Reference Network
Link to story in Daily Commercial News and Construction Record:
4) ITIS Aiming for Big Year
Link to story in the Manchester Evening News:
5) The Case Against Traffic Lights
Would our roads be safer and less congested if we were free of traffic lights and free to filter in turn?
Link to story and video report on BBC Two’s Newsnight:
SAFETY / SECURITY
6) Hitting the Highway
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev studies traffic safety through the prism of human behavior.
Link to story in BGU Now:
7) January Issue of the National Weather Service’s Aware Online
- Emergency Managers Give NWS Input
- HazCollect Launch Delayed to Ensure System Reliability
8) Queensland Transport Smart Card to Debut ‘Within Two Months’
Link to story in the Courier-Mail:
9) Dutch Transport Card Hacked Again
Link to story on DutchNews.nl:
10) Chrysler to Roll with Web Links
Carmaker touts plans for auto-based access, in sync with tech trend of mobile Internet use.
Link to story in The Detroit News:
11) Video Demonstration of Ford Sync
Link to report on Fox Business:
1) National Commission on Surface Transportation Announces Plan to Modernize System, Restructure Programs
2) US Transportation Secretary Rejects Call for Massive Gas Tax Increase and New Federal Transportation Bureaucracy
3) University of Minnesota Researchers Identify the Keys to Successful Transportation Projects in First of Its Kind Study
4) Frost & Sullivan: European eCall Market Faces Crucial Year for Fast Action or Telematics Failure
2008 North American Snow Conference – April 13-16 – Louisville, Kentucky
Today in Transportation History
1958 **50th anniversary** - The 4751st Air Defense Missile Wing was activated by the US Air Force.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2008 Bernie Wagenblast