Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
Countdown to IBTTA’s Transportation Summit of South Africa - March 11-13, 2012
Register now for IBTTA’s Transportation Summit of South Africa, March 11-13, 2012 in Cape Town, South Africa. This summit marks the first ever IBTTA meeting in Africa and kicks off our 2012 education series. This summit will focus on the South African experience in toll concessions, technological innovation, policy and finance. You’ll hear expert presentations and best practices, have an opportunity to tour the newly opened Gauteng Open Road Tolling Project (GFIP), attend networking events and meet with exhibitors offering solutions for your company’s business needs. Extend your stay and go on a group safari at the Jock Safari Lodge in Kruger National Park. View the preliminary brochure, make your hotel and travel reservations, and register today! Special hotel rate expires February 9, 2012. www.IBTTA.org/southafrica
1) Lawmaker Brings Legislation that Could Undo New Fare Ad Rules
Link to article in USA Today:
Link to news release from Rep. Tom Graves:
2) Air Traffic Control Training Gaps Will be Exacerbated by NextGen, Says Inspector General
Link to article on FierceGovernmentIT:
Link to report: http://www.oig.dot.gov/node/5708
3) FAA Medical System to Go Paperless
Link to article on AVweb:
Link to article in the Federal Air Surgeon's Medical Bulletin:
4) iMobility Newsletter – January 2012
Link to newsletter from ERTICO:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
5) Technology and Public Engagement: Are We There Yet?
Link to Talking Transportation:
6) Wi-Fi to be Installed in Israel's Rail Cars, Stations
Link to article in The Jerusalem Post:
7) Maryland State Highway Administration: Keep County Slogan Off Signs on State Roads
Link to article in The Frederick News-Post:
8) South Dakota Legislature Faces Battling Billboard Bills
Link to article in the Rapid City Journal:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) Signs Designed to Prevent Tragedy on Florida's Fog-Shrouded Alligator Alley
Link to article in the Sun Sentinel:
10) Years After Deadly I-4 Pileup in Florida, Fog Detectors Remain Elusive
Link to story on WTSP-TV:
11) Trying to Nudge Drowsy Drivers
Link to article in The New York Times:
12) Articles from January 2012 Global Road Safety Partnership News
- Shell Raises Road Safety Awareness in Oman
- Improving Road Safety for Citizens and Tourists in Cambodia
- Road Safety Partnerships Growing in Ukraine
13) More Secure, More Efficient
US Customs & Border Protection's new Air Cargo Advance Screening program brings together government and industry to enhance security.
Link to article in Frontline:
http://www.cbp.gov/frontline/winter2012/ (page 22)
14) Smartphones as an Incentive for Insurance Telematics
Link to article on Telematics Update:
15) OnStar Divulges Exclusive Strategies on Creating a Successful After-market Infotainment Product
Link to podcast on Telematics Update:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
16) 511 Traffic Reports End Today in St. Louis
Link to article on Chesterfield Patch:
17) Cars Communicating to Avoid Collisions? NHTSA Says Time is Now
Link to article in the Detroit Free Press:
- Professional Services Consultants – Avego – San Jose, California & Washington, DC
- Chief of the Technology Innovation and Policy Division – Research and Innovative Technology Administration – Cambridge, Massachusetts
NTOC Webinar: Role of Management and Operations in Supporting Livability and Sustainability – February 7
Today in Transportation History
1912 **100th anniversary** Captain Carlo Montu of the Italian Army became the first pilot to be wounded in combat. He was shot by a rifle while flying over Tobruk, Libya.
1917 **95th anniversary** Germany announced it planned to begin a policy of unrestricted submarine warfare starting the next day.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net