Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register Now for IBTTA’s Workshop — Incident Management, Safety and Security, July 19-21, 2009, Denver, CO
Join the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association in Denver, CO to learn about best practices from around the world in Incident Management and Emergency Response. Gain valuable knowledge on the most effective tools and communication methods available to promote toll facility safety and security, maintain operations in the face of disruption, and effectively communicate with customers during all phases of an incident – from prevention to recovery. Meeting highlights include a technical tour of E-470 Public Highway’s Tools and Technology followed by Northwest Parkway’s 5.9GHz DSRC Multi-Application Demonstration, a networking event at INVESCO Field at Mile High, and a fundraising golf tournament to support the IBTTA Foundation. Hotel cut-off extended until July 1st. To register or view the preliminary agenda, visit IBTTA’s website today!
1) Aviation Monitor Apes Human Nervous System
Link to story in The Australian:
2) New New York City Bike Safety Ads Take a Confrontational Approach
Link to story in The New York Times:
3) Battle of the Bike Safety PSAs: Los Angeles DOT vs. New York City DOT
Link to story on LA.Streetsblog:
4) Fast Lane Slowdown en Route?
Surge in electronic toll use on Massachusetts Turnpike combined with sky-high transponder requests may lead to toll lane backups.
Link to story in the Boston Herald:
SAFETY / SECURITY
5) Malaysian Government Plans GPS Devices on Buses to Curb Speeding
Link to story in The Star:
6) US Department of Homeland Security Said to Kill Spy Satellite Plan
Link to story in the Los Angeles Times:
7) Traffic Safety Education for Nonengineers
Link to story in Public Roads:
8) Experts Suspect Failure of Signal System, Operator Error in DC Metro Crash
Link to story in The Washington Post:
9) Unified E-Card to be Used for Public Transport in Dubai
Link to story in Emirates Business 247:
10) Indiana’s Transpo Limits Ads on Buses
Link to story in the South Bend Tribune:
11) Taking the Uncertainty Out of Bus Travel
Link to column in The Washington Post:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) Latest Issues of Thinking Highways Online
Link to magazines:
http://www.thinkinghighways.com/#/147 (North America edition)
http://www.thinkinghighways.com/#/146 (Europe/Rest of World edition)
13) ‘Cash-for-Clunkers’ Web Sites May Mislead, Agency Warns
Link to Bloomberg News story:
1) ITS-NY Announces 2009 Project-of-the-Year Winners
2) Telematics a Potential Lifeline for Troubled Transportation Industry
3) California Highway Patrol Speed Enforcement Program Lowers Injuries and Deaths
2009 NAB Radio Show – September 23-25 – Philadelphia
Today in Transportation History
1909 **100th anniversary** - The first transcontinental auto race across North America ended in Seattle.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2009 Bernie Wagenblast