Thursday, May 21, 2009
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, May 21, 2009 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register Now for IBTTA’s Upcoming Meeting — Incident Management, Safety and Security, July 19-21, 2009, Denver, CO
Join the International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association in Denver, CO to learn about best practices from around the world in Incident Management and Emergency Response. Sessions will explore the most effective tools and communication methods available to promote toll facility safety and security, maintain operations in the face of disruption, and effectively communicate with customers during all phases of an incident – from prevention to recovery. Other topics include crisis management during special events, Post Traumatic Distress Disorder and psychological impacts to employees, the role of engineering and maintenance in prevention and safety, and business continuity during disasters. Visit IBTTA’s website to view the preliminary agenda and register today!
1) Virgin America Completes Installing Wi-Fi on Fleet
Link to Dow Jones story:
2) Louisiana House Committee All but Kills Plan to Regulate Red Light Cameras
Link to story in The Times-Picayune:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) US Air Force Waves Off Warnings About GPS Accuracy
Link to story in The Washington Post:
4) Microsoft: ‘We Touch Every Piece’ of Auto Business
Link to ZDNet column:
5) Calling the Real Race in GNSS
Link to story in GPS World:
6) The Interstate Rail Defense Network
Would a name change increase public support for high-speed rail proposal?
Link to The No. 13 Line blog:
7) Freight Rail Security: Actions Have Been Taken to Enhance Security, but Federal Strategy Can Be Strengthened and Security Efforts Better Monitored
Link to US Government Accountability Office report:
8) Virginia DOT to DC Department of Transportation: You Need to Communicate Better
Link to story on WTOP Radio:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) Nebraska State Patrol Scanning Plates for Info About Drivers
Link to AP story:
10) A New Frontier: Astronaut Using Twitter in Space
Link to story in USA Today:
11) Telematics and GPS Go in the Right Direction
Navigation assistance gets more user-friendly with help of technology.
Link to story on MSNBC:
12) Transit Travels to Cyberspace to Reach Riders
Link to story in Metro Magazine:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
13) Waze: The Traffic of the Crowds
Link to CNET News story:
1) Delaware Welcome Center Travel Plaza Web Site Launched
2) TRW's Capacitive Touch Sensing - Interior Control at Your Fingertips
American Association of Airport Executives Annual Conference and Exposition – June 14-17 – Philadelphia
Today in Transportation History
1894 **115th anniversary** - The Manchester Ship Canal was officially opened by Queen Victoria.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2009 Bernie Wagenblast