Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, April 12, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
Come see the best of ITS at the ITS America Annual Meeting & Expo, May 3-5 in Houston!
· New speakers just added! Federal Transit Administrator Peter Rogoff and Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee join an impressive group at the podium.
· Browse nearly 150 booths led by ITS industry experts in the 150,000 square-foot exhibit hall.
· Catch a high-tech demo between sessions. We’ll have an 18-wheel truck rollover response - complete with police helicopter, fire and rescue and live video, and a Bus Rapid Transit demo featuring a “lane assist” guidance system.
1) Salt Lake Minor League Baseball Team Credits Plane Banner with Attendance Boost
Link to article in the Salt Lake Tribune:
2) Florida Math Tutor Uses Numbers to Fight Red-Light Camera Ticket
Link to story and video on WBBH-TV:
3) Five Louisiana Bills Target Traffic Cams
Link to article in The Advocate:
4) Beware Photo Radar Ticket Wording in Arizona
State representative says efforts to identify drivers are designed solely to generate money.
Link to Capitol Media Services article:
5) Volunteers Create New Digital Maps
Link to article in the San Jose Mercury News:
6) Are Florida Rental Car Drivers Paying Double the Road Tolls?
State investigating whether companies tell customers their vehicles have automatic toll-paying systems.
Link to article in the Sun Sentinel:
GPS / NAVIGATION
7) Navigator Technology Takes GPS to a New High
Link to article in Space Daily:
8) New York City Taxi Chief Wants to Make Cabs More User Friendly
Link to article in the New York Post:
9) Taking It to the Streets: Collecting Travel Time Data, Speed with Bluetooth Technology
Link to article in Texas Transportation Researcher:
10) Parking-Spot Finding in New York Gets Digital Aid
Link to article in The New York Times:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
11) Kansas DOT Uses YouTube to Illustrate Road Woes
Link to AP article:
12) Soon, Tweet or Access E-Mails While Traveling in Trains in India
Link to article in The Economic Times:
13) A Historic Sense of Direction
Centuries-old milestones dot the Connecticut landscape.
Link to commentary in the Hartford Courant:
SAFETY / SECURITY
14) NHTSA to Focus on Pedestrian Safety
Officials say new technology soon will detect walkers, cyclists to prevent fatal accidents.
Link to article in The Detroit News:
15) Canadian ePassports to Launch in 2012
Link to CBC News story:
16) Scanners, Sensors are Wrong Way to Secure the Subway
Link to commentary in the Daily News:
17) Oyster Brand Bought for £1 Million by Transport for London
Link to BBC News story:
18) New Electronic Ticketing System for New South Wales
Link to AAP article:
19) San Francisco Bay Area Transit On Board with New Payment Card
Link to story and audio report on KCBS Radio:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
20) New Jersey Turnpike Authority Remakes Web Site with Commuters in Mind
Link to article in the Asbury Park Press:
21) Clueless in Charlotte, North Carolina? Not if You Read These Signs
Link to article in The Charlotte Observer:
22) Michelin App Delivers Maps, Real-Time Traffic Info
Link to article in Tire Review:
23) Audi to Climb Pikes Peak Without a Driver
Link to AP article:
24) The Future of In-Car Technology
Link to article in Car and Driver:
25) Look to Korea for How Connected Cars Can Save Money, Planet
Link to blog on Earth2Tech:
MIT Short Course – Modeling and Simulation of Transportation Networks – August 2-6 – Cambridge, Massachusetts
Today in Transportation History
1935 **75th anniversary** The first flight of the Bristol Blenheim, a British light bomber, was made.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit:
If you have any difficulties please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net