Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, September 24, 2015 – ISSN 1529-1057
Transportation Departments across U.S. Select HERE to Provide Real Time Traffic
HERE has recently been selected by the Georgia, Alabama and Missouri State Departments of Transportation as the provider of probe based Traffic Services. This data enables the DOTs to communicate to drivers up-to-the-minute information about current traffic conditions and travel times. The agencies also utilize HERE data for traffic operations, situational awareness, and performance management, including bottleneck identification, trend spotting, construction planning, 'before and after' traffic studies and more. To read more about this, check out a recent announcement here.
The Missouri DOT has come up with some creative uses of the HERE data to make both operational and tactical decisions. MoDOT has set up its traffic software to provide HERE-powered text message alerts to its staff, filtered for the roads or regions for which they bear responsibility. This allows them to quickly react to situations either by putting messages onto dynamic message signage, or by dispatching teams to tackle the problem at the scene. To learn about how the Missouri DOT’s is tackling 'snow fights' using HERE data, click here.
1) NASA Tests Traffic Aware Planner App's Flight Planning Support Functions
Link to article on ExecutiveGov:
Link to news release
2) United Airlines Suddenly Delays Debut of New and Offbeat Inflight Safety Video
Link to article in the Chicago Business Journal:
3) Kansas City Presses on with Emerging 'Smart City' Corridor
Link to article in Computerworld:
4) Volkswagen Scrubs Diesel References from Social Media, YouTube
Link to article in The Hill:
5) New Parking App Aims to Help Canberra Motorists Find Vacant Car Spots
Link to Australian Broadcasting Corporation story:
Link to news release
6) Siemens Launches Radar-Based Parking Space Detection Pilot
Link to article in ITS International:
Link to news release (in German)
7) Data Driven, Optimized Driving Strategies Save US Railroads Millions
Link to article on diginomica:
8) Seven Years After Green Light, Smart Traffic System Still in Slow Lane in New Delhi
Link to article in The Times of India:
9) In Commuter Crises, Long Island Rail Road Isn't Up to Speed
Link to editorial in Newsday:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
10) New York's Transportation Command Prepares for Papal Disruptions
Link to article in The New York Times:
11) No One Consulted with Washington State Transportation Secretary Before Chinese President's Visit
Link to commentary on KIRO-FM Radio's Seattle's Morning News:
12) Some 2016 Chevy Models Will Get Android Auto in March 2016
Link to article on The Verge:
- Streetsblog New York City Reporter – OpenPlans – New York, New York
NOCoE CMM Dimensions Webinar Series: Business Processes – October 7
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2015 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net