Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Wednesday, February 21, 2007 -- ISSN 1529-1057
I-95 Corridor Coalition Travel Alert Map - Sponsorship Opportunities
Travel service providers in the I-95 corridor can now get direct access to their target market through the Travel Alert Map: Each year more than 500,000 of the Maps are distributed to travelers free of charge; providing information on lane closures, bottlenecks and special events occurring in the Coalition’s 16-state region (from Maine to Florida, including the District of Columbia).
If your potential customers travel the I-95 corridor highways, stop at welcome centers or rest areas, visit Regional AAA Offices or access Chambers of Commerce or Visitor Bureaus, this could be your chance to reach that tremendous market. See the Coalition’s website (www.i95coalition.org) to view the Map; click here for more information on sponsorship opportunities: http://www.i95coalition.org/whats-new.html#map
1) UK Prime Minister Denies Road Toll “Stealth Tax”
Road pricing is not a "stealth tax" on drivers, Tony Blair has said after 1.8 million people signed an anti-toll petition.
Link to BBC News story:
2) Pennsylvania Legislature to Explore Storm Gridlock
Lawmakers want to know why the state's communication and response systems apparently fell apart.
Link to story in The Philadelphia Inquirer:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/16744131.htm (free registration required)
3) Call 511 for Traffic 411 in San Diego
Link to story and video report on KNSD-TV:
Link to news release from SANDAG:
4) Collisions Increase at Cleveland Intersections with Traffic Cameras
Link to story and video report on WEWS-TV:
5) India Plans “Intelligent” Airport Terminals
Link to story on Zee News:
6) Specialty Plates May Result in Unwarranted Electronic Toll Charges
Link to story in the Boston Herald:
7) Mechanics Question Code of Conduct
New Jersey legislature to vote on bill to require vehicle manufacturers to make diagnostic codes available to public.
Link to story in the Herald News:
8) New York Senator Calls for Cell Towers Along Adirondack Northway
Suspend environmental rules, build units at rest stops, legislator says.
Link to story in the Times Union:
9) Web Site Gives San Francisco Transit, Car, Walking DirectionsLink to story in the San Francisco Examiner:
Link to site: http://www.publicroutes.com/default.aspx?link=directions&state_tmp=SF&state_id_tmp=8
10) Wireless Internet Provides Competitive Edge to Rail Operators
Link to story in Digital Communities:
11) Quake Warnings Can be a Disaster
From snowstorms to tsunamis, scientists tasked with notifying authorities about a possible threat often find themselves caught between crying wolf and uneasy silence.
Link to story in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:
12) £6 Million Traffic Flow System Drives Down Congestion in UK
Link to story in Computing:
13) Truckers Must File E-Summaries of Cargo at US Borders
Link to story from National Journal’s Technology Daily:
14) Traffic-Jam-Trapped Motorists Can’t Miss Mobile Billboards
Link to story from the Los Angeles Times:
15) Online 911 System Proposed
Link to story in Computerworld:
16) UK Village Posts Sign Telling Drivers to Ignore GPS
Link to story in IT Week:
17) Climbers Line Up Against Bill that Would Require Them to Carry Locators on Mount Hood
Link to AP story:
18) Improving Disaster Management: The Role of IT in Mitigation, Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
1) Slovenia Announces Establishment of National ITS Organization
2) Mitretek Systems Changes Name to Noblis
3) US Airways Selects Pittsburgh for Its Combined Flight Operations Control Center
4) Emergency Responders Get Live Pictures from Florida Department of Transportation
- Request for Proposals – Demonstration Freeway Service Patrols on Interstate H-1 and Moanalua Freeway – Hawaii Department of Transportation
- Senior Software Engineer – Delcan – Atlanta, Georgia
- ITS Traffic Engineer – Delcan – Atlanta, Georgia
- Database Administrator – Delcan – La Mirada, California
- QA/Testing – Delcan – La Mirada, California
Ready! Emergency Preparedness and Response Conference & Exposition – May 9-10 – Washington, DC
Today in Transportation History
1937 **70th anniversary** - The Arrowbile, makes its first test flight.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2007 Bernie Wagenblast