Monday, December 10, 2007
Monday, December 10, 2007
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, December 10, 2007 -- ISSN 1529-1057
1) Rocket (and Subway) Science
Washington Metro hopes upgrade will make for a smarter SmarTrip card.
Link to story in The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/08/AR2007120800737.html (free registration required)
Link to further information on SmarTrip: http://www.wmata.com/riding/smartrip.cfm
2) Sacramento Regional Transit Cameras Watching You
Devices posted at all 47 stations so riders can feel more secure.
Link to story in The Sacramento Bee:
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/552177.html (free registration required)
Link to news release from the Sacramento Regional Transit District:
3) Queensland Travel Smart Card Not Ready
Link to story in The Courier-Mail:
Link to statement from the Queensland Minister for Transport, Trade, Employment and Industrial Relations:
4) New York Area Airports are Behind on Technology
Link to story in The New York Sun:
5) US Agency Tests Auto Crash Alert System
Link to UPI story:
6) A Starring Role for Drivers Who Drink
Arizona county attorney creates a Web site with mug shots of those convicted of drunken driving.
Link to story in The New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/10/us/10drunk.html?ex=1354942800&en=3848204e1a67c01c&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
Link to Stop DUI AZ: http://www.stopduiaz.com
7) Keeping Traffic Rolling
Michigan DOT operates an intelligent transportation system for the Grand Rapids area.
Link to story in The Grand Rapids Press:
Link to Grand Rapids ITS: http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public/drive/grCameraMap.cfm
8) Are Cars Too Safe? Are User Manuals Necessary?
Design guru Don Norman argues for making autos less automated and for infusing gadgets with natural, easy-to-interpret feedback signals.
Link to story in BusinessWeek:
Link to further information from Don Norman: http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/the_design_of_future_1.html
9) Finding Your Way to Historic New Jersey
Tourist locations come together to develop uniform signage.
Link to column in The Star-Ledger:
Link to additional information from Celebrate New Jersey: http://www.celebratenj.org/online_store_top.html
10) In the Future, Smart People Will Let Smart Cars Take Control
Link to story in The New York Times:
11) Fuel-Efficiency Gauges Start Appearing in Non-Hybrids
Link to story in USA Today:
Link to photo of energy monitor in Toyota Prius: http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/2008/prius/gallery/interior/large/photo_3.jpg
12) Jacksonville Web Site Pushes Alternative to Bus Rapid Transit
Link to story in The Florida Times-Union:
Link to Metro Jacksonville: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/
13) Car Gadgetry at Your Command
Link to column and video in The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/08/AR2007120800006.html (free registration required)
14) Connected Cars, Volkswagen Research
Link to story on Technology News Daily:
15) Japan to Start World’s First GPS Tsunami Monitoring System
Link to story from the Thai News Agency:
16) Effective Use of Weigh-in-Motion Data: The Netherlands Case Study
Link to report from the Federal Highway Administration:
1) Image Sensing Systems Purchases Assets of EIS and Announces Expanded Strategy
2) Increased Info on South Africa Road Safety
3) Project News: SIMBA India National Event, November 21-22, 2007
4) Mississippi DOT Extends MSTraffic Web Site to Mobile Users
5) Harris Team Completes Weather and Radar Processor System Transition to FAA Telecommunications Infrastructure Network
American Bus Association Marketplace – February 2-7 – Virginia Beach, Virginia
Today in Transportation History
1970 – Lee Iacocca is named president of the Ford Motor Company.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2007 Bernie Wagenblast