Monday, May 12, 2008
Monday, May 12, 2008
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, May 12, 2008 -- ISSN 1529-1057
With over 7,000 readers around the world it’s a little difficult to go door-to-door asking for spare change. Setting up a lemonade stand in front of my house also seemed to fall a bit short, so I thought I’d return to something I did four years ago and solicit contributions in the TCN. I’ve never charged for subscriptions to the TCN, and never expect to, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t an expense to putting the TCN together every day. If you wish, you can mail a check or money order to me at the address at the bottom of the newsletter. You may also use a credit card or an e-check via PayPal at the secured link below. Thank you for all your support for the TCN. In the coming weeks I’ll also tell you about other ways to support the TCN, such as through ads, hiring me for voiceovers and creating newsletters for your company or organization. If you have any questions please contact me at email@example.com. Thank you!
1) European Commission Targets ‘Rip-Off’ Air Ticket Sites
Link to story on EurActiv:
2) Port of Bremerton Wants Your Attention
Link to story in the Kitsap Sun:
Link to news release from the Port of Bremerton
3) Information Tags Along Everywhere You Go
Critics worry about the security of RFID.Link to story in The Baltimore Sun:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
4) Virginia Program Trains Seniors in How to Use Transit
Link to story on WTOP Radio:
5) Government Enters the Blogosphere
Link to story in Federal Computer Week:
Feds Discover Gold in Blog Posts
6) Over the Bustle of the Everyday Commute, Her Voice has Guided the Way
Sheila Herriott directs passengers at New York’s Penn Station.
Link to story in The New York Times:
7) Eurostar Launches Digital Art Gallery
Link to BBC News story:
Link to news release from Eurostar
8) Was Ohio Bridge Scare a Warning?
When gusset plates caused a near-disaster in 1996, it didn't trigger a nationwide alert.
Link to story in the Star Tribune:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) eCall Launch Likely to be Further Delayed
Link to story on Auto Industry:
10) District of Columbia Council Moves to Block Surveillance Camera Project
Link to story in Washington Technology:
11) License Plate Readers Worry Canadian Privacy Advocates
Link to CP story:
12) Keeping Safety as Its Core, OnStar to Expand
Link to story in Crain’s Detroit Business:
13) Chicago Roads May Undergo Bumpy Transition to Bus-Only Lanes
Chicago Transit Authority’s effort to reduce gridlock hinges on technology, timeliness.
Link to column in the Chicago Tribune:
14) London Mayor to Discuss Oyster Card Expansion Plans
Link to Press Association story:
15) Graduate Students Map Out Business Plan, Advertising for Jonesboro, Arkansas’ Transit System
Link to AP story:
16) Privacy Issues with the Use of Smart Cards
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
17) Digicam on Chennai Cops’ Shoulders to Beef Up Surveillance
Digital cameras will transmit images to centralized control room.
Link to story in The Times of India:
18) Will Cars of the Future Drive Themselves?
Link to story from Portfolio:
19) The Crash-Proof Car is Coming
Link to story in The Sunday Times:
1) Eurostar and Google Launch Pioneering Interactive Display System ‘Explore Europe’
2) GeoDecisions and Maine Department of Transportation Unveil Enhanced Straight Line Diagramming Application
- Program Opportunity – Advanced Transportation Technologies – New York State Energy Research and Development Authority
transport logistic China 2008 – June 17-19 – Shanghai
Today in Transportation History
1958 **50th anniversary** - The formal North American Aerospace Defense Command agreement between Canada and the US is signed.
1 Aberdeen Court
Cranford, NJ 07016-2911
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2008 Bernie Wagenblast