Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 -- ISSN 1529-1057
One Day Left to Register for the 15th World Congress on ITS Webinar
There’s still time left to register for “Welcome to the World Congress,” an informative, one hour Webinar on the upcoming 15th World Congress on ITS featuring ITS America’s 2008 Annual Meeting. This Webinar will be held free of charge from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. (EDT) on Wednesday, May 28. Hosted by Michael Freitas of Ygomi LLC, participants will receive an update on the program, exhibits, VII technology demonstrations, networking and ancillary events, technical tours, and registration information. To register, go to www.itsa.org/worldcongress.html.
1) Airlines Come Clean on In-Flight Mobile Phone Calls
Five airlines are testing mobile phone calls in-flight, eight are sitting on the fence, one has banned them.
Link to story in The Times:
2) New Cyprus Traffic Cameras Could be Up and Running Within Eight Months
Link to story in the Cyprus Mail:
3) California State Automobile Association’s Paper Map Unit Nears End of Road
Link to story in the San Francisco Chronicle:
4) One Pass to Rule Them All? Ten Southern States Try to Unify Their Tolls
Link to column in the Orlando Sentinel:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
5) New Crusader for Illinois Tollway
Captain Tollway and ‘Know Before you Go’ campaign unveiled.
Link to story in the Daily Herald:
Link to news release from the Illinois Tollway:
6) Go Slow, On the Road and Behind the Camera
California Department of Transportation to use slow-motion videos to promote teen driving safety.
Link to story in the Los Angeles Times:
SAFETY / SECURITY
7) South Carolina Leads Nation in Texts While Driving
Link to story in The Post and Courier:
8) Get Set to Have Ads on Board
High-tech in cars will be brought to you by sponsors.
Link to story in the Detroit Free Press:
9) Driver Assistance Systems Push Auto Navigation Utility
Link to story in EE Times Asia:
10) Riding the Rails and Surfing the Internet
Link to story in The Examiner:
11) Transforming Buses Into Mobile Sensing Platforms
Link to story on cellular-news:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) Test to Warn California Motorists About Fog
Link to story in The Fresno Bee:
13) Connecticut Moves Forward with 511 for Travel Updates
Link to story in The News-Times:
14) New Jersey DOT Sending Traffic Alerts
Link to story in the Asbury Park Press:
15) Metro Networks Keeps Traffic Reports Flowing in Jacksonville, Florida Area
Link to story in The Florida Times-Union:
16) Method Uses 'Bluetooth' to Track Travel Time for Vehicles, Pedestrians
Link to story on AScribe Newswire:
1) Arriva Launches Free Wi-Fi Service on Trains Across Denmark
2) HD Radio Manufacturing Infrastructure Now Enables Low-Power, Low-Cost Designs
3) Current Technology Acquires Celevoke
4) Telematics Services from ATX Now Available to Peugeot Owners in Germany
North American Travel Monitoring Exposition and Conference – August 6-8 – Washington, DC
Today in Transportation History
1967 – The US Navy aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy is christened by Jacqueline and Caroline Kennedy in Newport News, Virginia.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2008 Bernie Wagenblast