Tuesday, March 6, 2007
Tuesday, March 6, 2007
Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 -- ISSN 1529-1057
Student Essay Competition Deadline on March 16
ITS America’s Student Essay Competition, which has been sponsored by PBS&J for six years, is designed to encourage student interest and future participation in the development of ITS solutions. Both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible to participate. The winner will receive complimentary registration, transportation and accommodations to attend ITS America’s 2007 Annual Meeting & Exposition from June 4-6, 2007 in Palm Springs, California. The deadline for entries is March 16. For the list of topics and entry guidelines, please visit www.itsa.org/amstudentessay.html.
1) Road to National 511 Service in Canada is Littered with Speed Bumps
Weather-related projects are under way, but travel systems are in limbo.
Link to story in IT Business:
2) Failure in New Computer Diverts Air Traffic
Link to story in The New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/06/washington/06planes.html (free registration required)
3) US DOT Bans Vista, Office 2007, IE 7 Upgrades – at Least for Now
Link to story in Computerworld:
Link to US DOT memo: http://www.dot.gov/ost/m60/morat001.pdf
4) Wi-Fi to Board the Trinity Railway Express
Link to story in The Dallas Morning News:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-trewifi_06bus.ART.State.Edition1.3855d60.html (may require free registration)
5) What to Consider Before Equipping Your Transit System with Wi-Fi
Link to article in Metro:
6) Scan ‘n’ Ride Revolution
If all goes well, Montrealers will be using smart cards on transit trips.
Link to story in The Gazette:
7) New York State DOT’s HELP Trucks Aid Stranded Motorists
Link to video report on WNYT-TV:
8) News from ERTICO
- SISTER Blasts Off
- First Steps Taken Toward Intelligent Roads in Austria
9) Reports from US DOT
- Final Report of the Operation and Demonstration Test of Short-Range Weather Forecasting Decision Support Within an Advanced Transportation Weather Information System (#SAFE)
http://www.itsdocs.fhwa.dot.gov//JPODOCS/REPTS_TE//14348.htm (April 2006)
- Final Report: Evaluation of Volvo Intelligent Vehicle Initiative Field Operational Test Version 1.3
http://www.itsdocs.fhwa.dot.gov//JPODOCS/REPTS_TE//14352.htm (January 2007)
1) Inrix Concludes Research Study Conducted by J.D. Power and Associates for Real-Time Traffic Market
2) Proliferation of Electronic Content in Vehicles Increases Demand for Fault Tolerant Solutions
3) Independent Study Further Validates Inrix as Traffic Information Industry Leader
Call for Papers – 10th International Conference on Application of Advanced Technology in Transportation – AATT 2008
New York Metropolitan Transportation Council (NYMTC) Annual Meeting – March 15 – New York City
Today in Transportation History
1987 **20th anniversary** The British ferry Herald of Free Enterprise capsized, drowning 188 people.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLfirstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe send an e-mail to: TCNLemail@example.com
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2007 Bernie Wagenblast