Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, March 12, 2010 – ISSN 1529-1057
AASHTO’s Daily Transportation Update provides a selection of links to transportation-related news stories and Federal Register notices on the Internet every weekday morning. The DTU helps you keep up with media coverage of the industry from across the country and federal transportation regulatory actions. Subscribe today at http://news.transportation.org/subscription/index.aspx.
1) Interview with NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman
Link to audio interview on AVweb:
2) Google Engineer Scott Shawcroft Explains Google’s Bike Map
Link to article on Streetsblog San Francisco:
3) Google Bike Maps: A Cynical Cyclist Speaks Out
Link to commentary in PCWorld:
4) Connecticut Border Toll Proposal Calls for Camera System
Link to article in the Connecticut Post:
GPS / NAVIGATION
5) Will GPS Kill the Sign?
Link to article in Slate:
6) Delays in Satellite Programs Push US Navy to Look Elsewhere for Communications
Link to article on NextGov:
7) US National Transportation Safety Board Recommends that Commercial Vessels be Required to Carry Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacons
Link to safety recommendation from the NTSB:
8) Panelists at AASHTO Meeting Stress Need to Constantly Monitor 24-Hour News Cycle
Link to article in the AASHTO Journal:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) Former TSA Employee Charged with Infecting Databases
Link to article in Government Computer News:
10) Laptops Could be Key to an Earthquake Early-Warning System
Link to article in the Los Angeles Times:
11) Intelligent Vehicles Hit the Road in China
Link to article in China Daily:
12) Closed-Door Report Tells DC Metro to Focus on Rail Safety, be Honest with Public
Transit advocates urge report be made public.
Link to article in The Examiner:
13) San Diego Transit Agency to Hunt for Sponsors
Link to column in The San Diego Union-Tribune:
14) BART Gets Official Augmented Reality App
Link to blog in Fast Company:
15) Cleveland RTA to Provide Information to Customers via E-mail, Text Message and Twitter
Link to article in The Plain Dealer:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
16) North Florida TPO Receives Additional Details on Proposed Regional Transportation Management Center
Link to article in the Financial News & Daily Record:
17) Wellington, New Zealand Traffic Control – Playing Slot Cars for Real
Link to article in The Dominion Post:
18) Driving by the Numbers
Giving drivers and carmakers real-time access to data that’s being monitored could improve safety.
Link to commentary in The New York Times:
19) Congress Debates New Satellite Plan
Link to article in USA Today:
Mississippi Valley Freight Coalition Conference and Annual Meeting – April 27-29 – Cincinnati, Ohio
Another sign that didn’t make the cut in the most recent MUTCD update.
Today in Transportation History
1930 **80th anniversary** - Canadian World War I ace, Billy Barker, died in an airplane crash.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, please visit:
If you have any difficulties please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2010 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net