Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, May 27, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Deadline extended to next Friday, June 3rd to submit entries for ITS America’s Best of ITS Awards
Good news for the Memorial Day weekend! The deadline has been extended to next Friday, June 3rd for ITS America's highly competitive Best of ITS Awards. Enter in either the Best New Innovative Product, Service or Application category or Best New Innovative Practice. Finalists will be recognized and the winners announced during a special awards ceremony and reception on Monday, Oct. 17 at the 18th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla. For a complete list of guidelines and more information on the awards program, please visit http://www.itsworldcongress.org/awards.html. Don’t miss this opportunity to be showcased as the best and brightest in the ITS industry!
1) Multi-Purpose, High-Tech Passenger Kiosks for Airports
Link to article on Tnooz:
2) Air Traffic Control Reform Newsletter – May 2011
Link to newsletter from the Reason Foundation:
3) Google Maps Adds Buttons, Gets Foursquare Feel
Link to article in PC World:
4) American Roads Company Rolls Out Mobile Phone App for Tolls at Gated Facilities
Link to article on TOLLROADSnews:
5) News from ERTICO
- ERTICO Interviews Brian Simpson, MEP and Chair of EP Transport and Tourism Committee
- Report on Second Meeting of the Safety Observers Network
- Report on ITS Network Meeting
- Traveller Information Services Association and ESG5 Cooperate to Deliver Coherent Traffic Information
6) Roundtable Informs Wireless Innovation for Transportation
Link to blog from the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy:
7) Open to Closure
State-of-the-art in work zone safety in the US.
Link to article in ITS International:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) Elk Warnings Created for Smartphones
Link to YLE story:
Link to news release from Liikenneturva:
9) US Helping Mexico Set Up Amber Alert System
Link to story and video on KGTV-TV:
10) New New York City Transit Site Easier to Use, Unless You're Mobile
Link to article on Transportation Nation:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
11) Quebec Defends Millions for All-Traffic Radio Stations
Link to article in The Gazette:
12) 'Black Boxes' in All Cars Proposed
Link to article in The Detroit News:
13) Remote Diagnostics, Premium Audio, Connectivity Top Consumers' Wish List
Link to article in Automotive News:
Link to news release from J.D. Power and Associates:
14) Forget the iPhone. Your Car is the Ultimate Mobile Device – But How Far Should That Go?
Link to article on Xconomy:
- Special Services Coordinator – Central Maryland Regional Transit – Laurel, Maryland
NYU Conference on Alternative Fuel Vehicle Technologies – June 14 – New York City
Thinking of the perfect gift for your favorite traffic geek?
http://www.borisbally.com/ (click on any of the sections for unique traffic items)
Today in Transportation History
1941 **70th anniversary** The German battleship, Bismarck, was sunk in the North Atlantic. Of a crew of approximately 2,200, 1,995 died.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net