Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, May 15, 2014 – ISSN 1529-1057
BICYCLES / PEDESTRIANS
1) New Bikes Lanes Able to Trigger Traffic Lights, Utah DOT Says
Link to story on KSTU-TV:
2) How a Fitness App is Training Transportation Planners
Link to article in Public CEO:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) Quantum Technology Could Offer Alternative to GPS
Link to article in E&T:
4) Articles from May Issue of CTS Catalyst
- Flashing LED Stop Signs Can Reduce Dangerous Right-Angle Crashes
- Warning System Could Protect Drivers from Traffic 'Shock Waves'
5) Upcoming Events from the ERTICO Network
Link to further information:
6) Computerized Train-Tracking System Unveiled at Thomasville, North Carolina Visitors' Center
Link to article in The Dispatch:
SAFETY / SECURITY
7) Text Messaging 911 Takes Effect in US: What You Need to Know
Link to story on ABC's Good Morning America:
8) Malaysia Transport Ministry Wants Airlines to Use Interpol Database
Link to article in The Star:
9) Belgium Road Safety Group Crowdsources Dangerous Traffic Hotspots
Link to article in Fast Company:
TRAFFIC INCIDENT MANAGEMENT
10) The Responder – May 2014
Link to newsletter from The Incident Management Network:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
11) Palm Beach, Florida Sheriff Unveils App Designed to Provide Audio Traffic Updates
Link to article in The Palm Beach Post:
12) Competitors Join Forces for UR:BAN Traffic Management and Safety Project
Link to article on motoring:
4) Expansion of TomTom and Inrix into Developing Regions Driving Future Growth of Traffic Information Revenues
Mid-Continent Transportation Research Symposium – August 21-22 – Madison, Wisconsin
Today in Transportation History
1904 **110th anniversary** The Japanese battleships Hatsuse and Yashima were sunk after striking mines during the Russo-Japanese War.
1939 **75th anniversary** The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association was created.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2014 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net