Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, September 4, 2014 – ISSN 1529-1057
HERE Predictive Traffic Demo at ITS World Congress
What time should I leave for my weekend trip? Do I have enough time to get to my meeting?
Get better travel time estimates for your route. HERE Predictive uses factors such as seasons, holidays, weather, and other trends.
Come see HERE’s Predictive Traffic demo in the Michigan DOT TMC showcase at Cobo Hall or on Belle Isle.
Contact HERE for more information.
1) Facial Recognition Trials Resume at Narita, Haneda Airports in Japan
Link to article in The Japan Times:
2) Cleveland City Council Puts Traffic Camera Issue on Ballot
Link to story on WKYC-TV:
3) Red-Light Camera Industry Fights Citizen Vote in Florida
Link to story on WTSP-TV:
4) Lyle Saxton to Be Inducted into Intelligent Transportation Society World Congress Hall of Fame
Link to article on Powhatan Today:
5) China Using Language to Quietly Redefine International Maritime Law
Link to commentary in The Diplomat:
6) Daimler Buys myTaxi, RideScout Apps in Transport Services Expansion
Link to Bloomberg article:
7) Study: Tweets During 2013 Colorado Floods Gave Engineers Valuable Data on Infrastructure Damage
Link to story on KMGH-TV:
8) The Most Important Transportation Innovation of the Decade is the Smartphone, But Cities and Transit Agencies Haven't Taken Full Advantage
Link to blog on CityLab:
9) Austin, Texas Adjusts Traffic Lights in Real-Time Based on Smartphone Data
Link to article in Government Technology:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) West Coast States Work on Early Warning System for Earthquakes
Link to McClatchy News article:
TRAFFIC INCIDENT MANAGEMENT
11) Colorado DOT Discusses Snow Plans for I-70
Link to article in the Vail Daily:
12) São Paulo Introduces Internet-Enabled Buses as Part of Transport Overhaul
Link to article on ZDNet:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
13) Updated Live Traffic App Helps Drivers Beat New South Wales Traffic
Link to story on 7 News:
14) Alabama DOT Digital Message Boards on I-65 Show Drive Times
Link to story on WSFA-TV:
15) Facebook Group Aims to Help Traffic Weary Drivers in Leland, North Carolina
Link to story on WWAY-TV:
16) A Framework for Improving Travel Time Reliability
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
17) Toyota Expands Safety Research with $35 Million Commitment in Ann Arbor
Link to article in the Detroit Free Press:
18) Distracted Driving and Big Data – What's the Connection and Concern
Link to blog on Consumer Traveler:
20th Annual ITS Forum – October 2 – Madison, Wisconsin
Today in Transportation History
1964 **50th anniversary** The Forth Road Bridge in Scotland was officially opened.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2014 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net