Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, October 31, 2014 – ISSN 1529-1057
Bernie's Notes – National Traffic Incident Management Responder Training
I want to let you know about a new free online course being offered by the National Highway Institute. The train was developed under SHRP2 and is provided by the FHWA Office of Operations. The training is designed for everyone involved with responding to highway incidents, including police, fire, EMS, towing, DOTs and dispatchers, among others.
I'm especially excited by the course because I'm the narrator who will guide you though. You can get more information about the course and register for it by going to http://www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov/training/course_search.aspx?tab=0&key=133126&sf=0&course_no=133126. Please share information about the course with others who can benefit from it.
PS: That's not me who you'll see on the course. It's an old friend and colleague from my days with the I-95 Corridor Coalition, retired Virginia State Police Capt. Tom Martin.
1) FAA, Industry Form NextGen Working Group
Link to article on FierceGovernmentIT:
2) Lufthansa Testing iBeacon Technology at Frankfurt Airport
Link to article in Passenger Terminal World:
BICYCLES / PEDESTRIANS
3) Swiss Politicians Against Pedestrians on Phones
Link to article on The Local Switzerland:
Link to article in 20 Minuten:
http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/23682057 (in German)
4) Intersil Director: Car Technology Can Make Pedestrians Safer
Link to blog in Electronics Weekly:
5) First Electronic Toll Collection System Launched in India
Link to ANI article:
6) UK Pioneers Radio-Wave 'Lighthouses' to Aid Ships if GPS Fails
Link to Bloomberg article:
7) Articles from Nordic Road and Transport Research
- DRIVE C2X Assessed the Impacts of Cooperative Systems
- Section Speed Cameras Reduce Accidents
8) App Lets You Superimpose Past Onto the Present at Kansas City's Union Station
Link to article in The Kansas City Star:
9) Is It a Car 'Crash' or 'Accident'?
Link to column in the Star Tribune:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
10) Social Media Campaign Around AASHTO's History Nabs Thousands of Viewers
Link to article in the AASHTO Journal:
SAFETY / SECURITY
11) Speedwatch SLC Maps Salt Lake City Traffic Enforcement to Prevent Speeding
Link to story on KSTU-TV:
Link to map
12) Telematics West Coast – Day 1: Apps Are Not the Answer
Link to article on Telematics Update:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
13) The Future of Radio Traffic Reports
Link to story on Transportation Radio:
14) Mercedes, VW to Thwart Google's Car Inroads in Car Data
Link to Bloomberg article:
15) Mercedes-Benz Canada Saves Lives with QR Codes
Link to article on Autosphere:
Link to additional information
A 'scent globe' at Heathrow Airport let's you experience fragrances from around the world. No, New Jersey is not one of the offerings (As a proud New Jerseyan I'm allowed to say this).
Webinar: FAA Deputy Administrator to Speak About NextGen's Impact on Transportation and Economy – November 18
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2014 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net