Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, July 8, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
In the New York/New Jersey Area This Weekend?
Catch my traffic reports on 1010 WINS in New York City, New Jersey 101.5 (WKXW), Magic 100.1 (WJRZ) on the Jersey Shore and WRCN at 103.9 on Long Island. I'll be on from 7:30 am until 3 pm Saturday and from 7 pm until midnight on Sunday. Even if you're not in the area, just click the links above and listen online. Let me know where your listening from and we'll see who's the most distant listener. The reports on 1010 WINS air every 10 minutes on the 1s and on New Jersey 101.5 every 15 minutes at :03, :18, :33 and :48.
1) NextGen Air Transportation System: Mechanisms for Collaboration and Technology Transfer Could Be Enhanced to More Fully Leverage Partner Agency and Industry Resources
Link to report from the US Government Accountability Office:
GPS / NAVIGATION
2) South Africa Gets Traffic-Savvy Satnav
Link to IOL News article:
3) First Responders Get Maritime Training at Port of Los Angeles' New Center
Link to article in the Daily Breeze:
4) Playback of Public Transit ITS Implementations – Lessons Learned Webinar (June 2, 2011)
Link to playback from the Research and Innovative Technology Administration:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
5) West Virginia DOT Debuts Radio Program
Link to article in the Charleston Daily Mail:
6) Honolulu Rail Website Slowly Picks Up Speed as Plan Proceeds
Link to article in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser:
Link to Honolulu Rail Transit site: http://honolulutransit.org/
7) Oklahoma DOT's Centennial Celebration Costs Taxpayers More than $100,000
Expenses include commemorative book, documentary and brochures.
Link to story and video on KOTV-TV:
8) Converted Forestry App Finds 'Sweet Spot' for Highway Repairs
Link to article in Government Computer News:
9) App Claims It Can Help You Hit All the Green Lights
Link to video on KOMO-TV:
Link to further information from Green Driver: http://imagreendriver.com/
10) Developing Smart Street Lights that Switch On as Cars Pass By
Link to blog in Technology Review:
SAFETY / SECURITY
11) US Inter-agency Maritime Operations Coordination Plan Inked
Link to UPI article:
Link to news release from the US Department of Homeland Security:
12) US Department of Homeland Security, TSA Revive Aviation Security Panel
Link to article in Government Security News:
13) Communicating with the Public During Emergencies
Link to Official FCC Blog:
14) Universal Transit Card Due for CTA, Metra, Pace
Link to article in the Chicago Tribune:
15) OC Transpo Launches New Mobile Application
Link to CBC News story:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
16) Los Angeles Area Radio Stations Gearing Up to Cover Freeway Closure
Link to column in The Orange County Register:
17) Can New York's Highways be Fixed?
Link to commentaries in The New York Times:
18) Michigan International Speedway Chosen as Test Site for Anti-crash Vehicle Technology
Link to article in the Detroit Free Press:
- Program Opportunity Notice – Advance Transportation Technologies – New York State Energy Research and Development Authority
http://www.nyserda.org/funding/funding.asp?i=1 (scroll down to PON 2271)
National Rural ITS Conference – August 28-31 – Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I can now check off this item from my bucket list; get picture on airplane.
Today in Transportation History
1911 **100th anniversary** The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad opened a new station in West Barnstable, Massachusetts.
1961 **50th anniversary** The Portuguese ship, Save, ran aground, caught fire and exploded near Mozambique killing 259 people.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net