Transportation Communications Newsletter
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Have you registered for the 2011 National Rural ITS Conference to be held August 28-31, 2011 in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho? Early registration closes in two weeks (August 5th). Take advantage of discounted rates - go to www.nritsconference.org/registration.html to register today! Not sure what sessions you want to attend? We are making it easier to decide! In addition to a session description, we are adding to the online agenda the opportunity to view speaker abstracts. Learn more about what will be presented before you arrive!
1) Xiamen, China Installs Over 360 Surveillance Cameras at Bus Rapid Transit Stations to Curb Pickpocketing
Link to article on What's On Xiamen:
2) Maps and Aesthetics: Washington's Hidden Spiral
Link to blog on Human Transit:
3) Pennsylvania State Court Blocks Newspaper's Access to E-ZPass Records
Link to article in The Patriot-News:
GPS / NAVIGATION
4) Bring Augmented Reality to Your Road Trip with Wikitude Drive App for Android
Link to The ToyBox blog on ZDNet:
Link to news release from Wikitude:
5) GPS-Based ToyToyota App Lets Kids 'Drive' from the Backseat
Link to article and video on Gizmag:
Link to further information from Toyota:
6) Some Complaints Don't Make North Carolina Highway Patrol's Logs
Link to article in The News & Observer:
7) Carmageddon – Tale of the Tweet
An analysis of positive and negative tweets about I-405 closure.
Link to A Smarter Planet Blog:
8) Tracking Trains Through the Use of FMCW Radar Sensors
Link to article in Mass Transit:
9) New Toronto Subway Cars Finally Set to Debut
'Toronto Rocket' will feature electronic trip maps, video monitors and digital message boards.
Link to article in the National Post:
10) Wi-Fi and Dial Tone Coming to New York City Subway Platforms … S l o w l y
Link to article on Transportation Nation:
11) The Tale Behind Calgary Transit's Twitter Account
Link to article in Metro:
Link to Calgary Transit's Twitter account:
12) Bus-Schedule Collector at 10; Bus-Route Planner at 39
Link to article in The Seattle Times:
13) A Pile-Up of Public Service Messages in the New York City Subway
Link to blog in The New York Times:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
14) Seoul to Build Traffic Control Center Resistant to Cyber Attacks
Link to Yonhap article:
15) TomTom HD Traffic Gets Data from Transport for London
Link to article on Pocket-lint:
16) Wyoming DOT Uses Ethernet Over Copper to Support Traffic Control System
Link to article in Connected Planet:
Intertraffic China – September 7-9 – Beijing
Today in Transportation History
1936 **75th anniversary** The Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Straits was signed in Switzerland. The agreement gives Turkey control over the straits connecting the Black and Mediterranean seas.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!