Transportation Communications Newsletter
Wednesday, January 4, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) The Street Network Evolution of Crowdsourced Maps: OpenStreetMap in Germany 2007-2011
Researchers compare a crowdsourced map with a commercial map.
Link to article in Future Internet:
2) India to Revive Proposal to Integrate Toll Plazas Across Country
Link to article in The Hindu:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) LightSquared GPS Interference Issue Faces Congressional Oversight
Link to article in eWeek:
4) Chicago's New 'Snow Portal' is Hot
Link to article in Government Technology:
Link to Chicago Shovels:
5) New Microsoft Patent: Walking Directions that Avoid Crime-Ridden Neighborhoods
Link to article on GeekWire:
Link to patent: http://goo.gl/JTVNM
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
6) Your Customers are Mobile, are You?
Link to Talking Transportation blog:
7) Broombridge, a Station Like No Other
Irish Rail promotion to select 'Best Station' may have a different outcome than expected.
Link to blog on Come Here to Me:
8) Survey Finds Two Thirds of Drivers are Confused by Basic Road Signs
Link to article in the Daily Mail:
9) Residents of Staten Island, New York Can Track Conditions of Borough Streets Online
Link to article in the Staten Island Advance:
Link to site: http://nycdotproto.esri.com/dotmap/
10) Sensors Help Test Structural Integrity of Easton-Phillipsburg Free Bridge
Link to article in The Express-Times:
Link to article in Resolve:
SAFETY / SECURITY
11) New Road Safety Measures Take Effect in France
In-vehicle warnings of speed camera locations, watching movies while driving, now banned.
Link to article on Guide2Midi Pyrenees:
12) US Navy Testing Long-Range Drone that Tracks Suspicious Vessels
Link to article in Stars and Stripes:
Link to additional information on the Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Unmanned Aircraft System:
13) Old Services Meet New Media: A Tweeting Cabbie's Growing Business
Link to article on Ars Technica:
Link to ChicagoCabbie Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/#!/chicagocabbie
14) The Problem with Naming Transit Stations
Link to blog on The Atlantic Cities:
- Transit Manager – Ride Right, Inc. – Yamhill, Oregon
- Senior Transit Analyst – Antelope Valley Transit Authority – Lancaster, California
- Call for Papers – NFC Solutions Summit 2012
- Request for Proposals – AVL and Passenger Information System – Golden Empire Transit District
Texas Transportation Forum – February 15-17 – San Antonio, Texas
Today in Transportation History
1967 **45th anniversary** Donald Campbell was killed while attempting to set a new water world speed record.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net