Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, January 5, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
IBTTA: Delivering Real Solutions in 2012
The International Bridge, Tunnel and Turnpike Association's 2012 Education Series will offer major educational and networking events that can change the way you do business or promote new business in the tolling industry. Learn more by viewing IBTTA's 2012 Events Calendar. IBTTA will kick off its 2012 Education Series with the Transportation Summit of South Africa, March 11-13, 2012 in Cape Town, South Africa. Don't miss this exciting opportunity to attend the first ever IBTTA meeting in South Africa. Register Today!
1) RFID in Ports and Terminals: Moving Toward Global Acceptance
Link to article in Port Technology International:
2) Latest Luxury Boats Run with the Help of Mobile Devices, GPS
Link to story on NY1:
3) Motorists Ticketed at DC Meters After Paying by Phone
Link to story on WTTG-TV:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
4) DC HOT Lanes Project Launching Education Campaign
Link to column in The Washington Post:
Link to 495 Express Lanes website: www.495expresslanes.com
5) Smart Technology Alleviates Doubt During Earthquake
Sensors on Burlington County Bridge Commission crossings provide speedy reassurance.
Link to article in Pennoni Perspective:
SAFETY / SECURITY
6) Border Helicopter Dropped Coffee Cups to Alert Mount Rainier Hikers of Shooter
Link to article in The Seattle Times:
Link to further information on NWHikers.net:
7) Tennessee Strives to be a Next-Gen 911 Leader
Link to article in Government Technology:
8) Report on Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Stop Cites Poor Communication
Link to article in The Miami Herald:
9) Springfield, Illinois Bus System to Provide Online Location Information
Link to article in The State Journal-Register:
10) Missed Bus Inspires Winning Transportation Video in Tualatin, Oregon
Link to article in The Times:
Link to video: http://vimeo.com/30862284
11) Virginia Railway Express Dropping Plans for Wi-Fi on Trains
Link to blog in The Examiner:
12) Could DC Metro Learn from Long Island Rail Road's Suicide Prevention Efforts and Celebrity Safety Announcements?
Link to blog on TBD:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
13) Overhead Signs Will Display Hampton Roads, Virginia Traffic Times
Link to article in The Virginian-Pilot:
14) Reports Issued by Western Transportation Institute
- Rural Traveler Information Phase 1: Rural Traveler Information Needs Assessment and Pilot Study
- Rocky Mountain National Park ITS Pilot Deployment/Evaluation (Operation Plan)
- Rocky Mountain National Park ITS Pilot Deployment/Evaluation (Evaluation Plan)
- Professional Capacity Building for Communication Systems
- Western States One-Stop Shop for Rural Traveler Information: Research on Clarus System Data
15) In-Car Internet 'to Become Norm' in Survey About Future
Link to story on BBC Radio 1's Newsbeat:
16) Pandora CEO Says Growth in Automobiles Still 5-10 Years Away
Link to article in Radio Ink:
- Deputy Director, Bureau of Transportation Statistics – Research and Innovative Technology Administration – Washington, DC
Forum: Beyond 2012 – Road Safety Benefits Driven by ITS Technology – April 18-19 – Melbourne
Today in Transportation History
1972 **40th anniversary** US President Richard Nixon approved NASA's development of the Space Shuttle program.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net