Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, April 25, 2013 – ISSN 1529-1057
Consortium for ITS Training and Education (CITE) is now accepting registrations for two of its online blended (instructor-led) courses:
Weather Responsive Traffic Management (WRTM) * New – May 3-June 23, 2013
This course provides information and guidance to transportation system managers and operators to help them effectively manage traffic flow and operations during adverse weather conditions.
Improving Highway Safety with ITS – May 10-June 29, 2013
This course aims to increase awareness of the benefits to be gained through the deployment of ITS for highway safety applications. The course is designed to assist professionals in both the highway safety and ITS communities.
All course materials are on-line but students have access to course instructors through three pre-scheduled conference calls. Cost is $250 each, $400 for both. FREE for U.S. local, state, regional, metropolitan, and Federal government agencies! - Use sponsor code PCB when you register. Questions, please contact Denise Twisdale () or Kathy Frankle ( ).
1) EU Vote Rejects Move to Share Air Passenger Data
Link to article in Computerworld:
2) Airlines Bringing Wi-Fi to the Sky
Link to article in The Globe and Mail:
3) Airport Terminal Light and Sound Ambience
Link to article in Airport World:
4) Real-Time Bike Counter Coming to San Francisco
Link to article in Government Technology:
5) Los Angeles Councilmember: LAPD Should Have Access to Traffic Cameras in Wake of Boston Bombings
Link to AP article:
6) Denver Police Increasingly Rely on Video Surveillance to Solve Crime
Link to article in The Denver Post:
7) E-ZPass IAG-TDM Specs Now Open Source, Available for Download
Link to article on TOLLROADSnews:
GPS / NAVIGATION
8) US Army Seeks New Technology to Replace GPS
Link to AFP article:
9) North Korea's GPS Jamming Prompts South Korea to Endorse Nationwide eLoran System
Link to article on Inside GNSS:
10) Why the CEO of Inrix isn't Looking to Maximize the Traffic Data Provider's IPO Valuation
Link to interview on Quartz:
11) Digital Billboards Grab Spotlight in Boston Bombings
Link to article on MSN News:
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) Israel Airport Security 'Allowed to Read Tourists' Email'
Link to Reuters article:
13) Red Tape Means Red Light for Texting and Driving Laws in Oklahoma
Link to story on KOTV-TV:
14) Abu Dhabi School Buses Get High-Tech Makeover in Bid to Protect Children
Link to article on 7Days in Dubai:
15) Why NASA is Firing Cellphones Into Space
Link to article in the National Journal:
16) Mapping the Information Screens at Los Angeles Metro's 7th Street/Metro Center Station
Link to blog:
17) How the Auto Industry Plans to Stay 'Connected' to Its Customers
Link to article in Automation World:
ITS Canada Annual Conference and General Meeting – May 26-29 – Toronto, Ontario
Today in Transportation History
1938 **75th anniversary** The US Supreme Court made a landmark decision in Erie Railroad v. Tompkins concerning diversity jurisdiction for US federal courts. The case arose when Harry Tompkins was injured by a passing train in Hughestown, Pennsylvania.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2013 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net