Transportation Communications Newsletter
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) New Website Launched to Help Passengers Claim Compensation
Link to article on TravelMole:
2) Avidyne Unveils New Traffic-Alert Technology Being Developed with FAA and MIT
Link to article from AOPA:
3) Iraqi Ports to Monitor Cargo Truck Traffic
Link to article on Al-Shorfa:
GPS / NAVIGATION
4) South Korea to Beef Up GPS Surveillance System
Link to article on ZDNet:
5) Smithsonian to Open Exhibit Focused on Navigation
Link to AP article:
Link to further information: http://goo.gl/a2HsX
6) US Navy Trying to Keep Up with Fast-Evolving Cyber Threats
Link to article in FCW:
7) Safe Navigation in the US Arctic
Link to conference proceeding from TRB:
8) Louisiana House Transportation Committee OKs Bill Allowing Sponsorship on State-Owned Assets
Link to article in The Times-Picayune:
9) Elaborate Drive-By Photo Studio Takes Pedestrians By Surprise
Link to article in Wired:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
10) Using Social Media to Tell the TTI Story
Link to article from the Texas A&M Transportation Institute:
11) The Deal with Those Traffic Death Highway Signs in Illinois
Link to story on WBEZ Radio:
12) Secrecy Frustrates Transport Scrutiny in Auckland, New Zealand
Link to commentary on Stuff.co.nz:
13) New York State, Westchester County to Inspect Neglected Overhead Highway Signs
Signs were not inspected or maintained for years because sides couldn't agree whose job it is.
Link to article in The Journal News:
14) Lost Cause in New York
Writer laments difficulty with wayfinding while leaving New York's JFK Airport.
Link to commentary in The Wall Street Journal:
SAFETY / SECURITY
15) Does Classical Music at Train Stations Really Deter Crime?
Link to story on WQXR Radio:
16) Has British Columbia's Queensborough Bridge Gone Too Far with Billboard?
Link to article in The Providence:
17) Safety & Security for Road Infrastructure
Link to publication:
18) Telematics May Transform Trucking's View of Trailers
Link to article in Fleet Owner:
19) New App in Sydney to Use GPS Technology to Show Train's Location
Link to story on 7News:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
20) Jaipur, India Traffic Police Log into Facebook for Locals' Feedback
Link to article on Daily Bhaskar:
21) Advocates Urge Regulators to Mandate Rear Cameras in New Cars
Link to article in The Detroit News:
22) FLIR Looks to Automobile Market to Reduce Production Costs for Infrared Cameras
Link to article in Government Security News:
2) As Distracted Driving Becomes an Increasing Threat on Texas Roadways, TxDOT Ramps Up Public Education
2013 Freeway and Managed Lane Operations Meeting and Conference – June 23-26 – Atlanta
Today in Transportation History
1933 **80th anniversary** Peter Pan Bus Lines was founded.
1963 **50th anniversary** The USS Thresher, a US Navy nuclear submarine, sank in the North Atlantic during a deep-diving test. All 129 people aboard died.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2013 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net