Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, August 12, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Previews of TCN Articles
Get a jump on some of the articles you'll find in the TCN. Just follow @TransportComm on Twitter for links to some of the articles you'll see in the next edition of the TCN.
More info at https://twitter.com/#!/TransportComm
1) British Airways Turns to YouTube in Drive to Recruit Over 800 New Pilots
Link to article in the Belfast Telegraph:
Link to video from BA: http://youtu.be/8YDisvgzzLo
2) Virgin Atlantic Plans Cabin Upgrades
Changes include installing in-flight connectivity.
Link to article in The Wall Street Journal:
3) Survey Seeks Guidance on Use of ITS for Ground Transportation Services at Airports
Link to survey from Gresham, Smith & Partners and the Texas Transportation Institute:
4) Aviation Safety: Making Wayfinding the Top Priority at Nigerian Airports
Link to commentary in the Daily Independent:
5) Tennessee Attorney General Says New Traffic Camera Law Valid, Even if Operators Lose Money
Link to article in the Knoxville News Sentinel:
Link to opinion from the Tennessee AG:
GPS / NAVIGATION
6) LightSquared Lashes Out at GPS Makers for Interference Problems
Link to article in Wireless Week:
Link to news release from LightSquared:
7) Watching a Driver's Every Move
Technology helps researchers study driver behaviors with the goal of improving safety and productivity.
Link to article in Light & Medium Truck:
8) App Lets Drivers Auction Public Parking Spaces
Link to article in Wired:
Link to Parking Auction: https://parkingauction.com/
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
9) PR Costs for Florida SunRail Project Re-angering Critics
Link to story on WTSP-TV:
10) High-Tech Solution Could Stop Drivers from Crossing Causeway During High Tide
Sensors, signs and gates could supplement webcam for Holy Island crossing.
Link to article in the Northumberland Gazette:
SAFETY / SECURITY
11) Online 'Safety Video Game' Targets Truck-Train Crashes
Link to article in USA Today:
Link to additional information and video from Operation Lifesaver:
12) Trimble: Telematics is 'a Vital Component in the Insurance Market Space'
Link to interview in Telematics Update:
13) Judge Rules Little Rock Bus Line Wrong to Deny Atheist Ads
Link to Reuters article:
14) The Social Subway
WMATA's Dan Stessel wants to make DC fall back in love with the Metro.
Link to article in The Washington City Paper:
Link to WMATA Twitter account: https://twitter.com/#!/wmata
Keeping Up with Communication Technology: An Online Workshop on the Practical Use of Social Media – September 21
The future of transportation (as envisioned in the past).
Today in Transportation History
1961 **50th anniversary** An order was signed by the East German leader authorizing the closing of the border with West Germany. The next day construction of the Berlin Wall began.
The Federal Maritime Commission was established.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net