Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) Automation in the Air Dulls Pilot Skill
Link to AP article:
GPS / NAVIGATION
2) A Driving Route Made Just for You
A research project provides personalized directions that adapt to weather, traffic conditions, and your own driving habits.
Link to article in Technology Review:
3) Palm Beach County, Florida Considers Improving Development Alert Signs
Effort could include larger text, bigger signs and electronic message boards.
Link to article in the Sun Sentinel:
4) FixMyTransport Uses Crowdsourcing to Solve Travel Problems
Website will notify operators when commuters have complaints about rail, bus, tube and ferry services.
Link to article in the Guardian:
Link to FixMyTransport: http://www.fixmytransport.com/
5) Need a Parking Space? Look in Your Hand
Link to story and audio on NPR's All Things Considered:
6) Electronic Signage System Will Direct Overflow Parking at Gettysburg Battlefield Visitor Center
Link to article in the Gettysburg Times:
7) Valet Parking, the App
New Boston University application finds closest parking spots, best price.
Link to article on BU Today:
8) 'Common Sense' Prompts US to Scrap Traffic-Sign Deadlines
Link to Bloomberg article:
Link to news release from US DOT:
9) Intelligent Systems at an Intelligent Price
The benefits of high-tech transportation may be surprisingly affordable today.
Link to article in Better Roads:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Dispatcher Fired for Failing to Tell Ohio DOT of Covered Stop Sign
Fatal accident occurred at intersection.
Link to article in The Chillicothe Gazette:
11) Senator Rockefeller Tells FCC Secure Communications Needed in Disasters
Link to article in Government Security News:
12) FCC Asked to Disallow Wireless Shutdowns on Public Transit
Link to article in Government Technology:
13) GPS Technology to Help Streamline Bus Riders in Montana Track Their Buses
Link to article in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
14) Vermont 511 Service Faces Challenge in Wake of Devastating Floods
Link to story on Vermont Public Radio:
15) New Phone Application Could Ease Drivers' Woes in Galway, Ireland
App will provide live journey information and may give five-day traffic forecast.
Link to article in The Connacht Sentinel:
16) No Driver Needed: Iowa Firm Develops 'Autonomous' Tractor
Link to article from The Des Moines Register:
Link to more news release from Kinze Manufacturing:
- Request for Information – Traffic Data Sources Evaluation –SAIC/Metropolitan Transportation Commission
IEEE ITS Conference – October 5-7 – Washington, DC
Today in Transportation History
1961 **50th anniversary** The first Minuteman missile was launched from a silo. The launch was unsuccessful and the missile was destroyed.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net