Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, November 21, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) Spirit Airlines Fined for Tweets, Ads
Link to article in The Hill:
Link to news release from US DOT:
2) Delta Takes Off with an Unconventional Approach to Customer Experience
Link to article in Forbes:
3) Rockwell Collins Helps Pave the Way for New Air Traffic System
Link to SourceMedia Group News article:
4) LAX CIO to Update Airport's IT Infrastructure
Link to article in Public CIO:
5) Bright Green Bicycle Lane in Los Angeles Aimed at Reducing Collisions and Helping Cyclists Feel Safer
Link to article in the Los Angeles Times:
6) Navigating the World with Nokia Maps
Link to article in The Philippine Star:
GPS / NAVIGATION
7) Galileo Global Navigation System Will Change Operating Landscape for Fleets
Link to article in Fleet News:
8) TomTom's HD Traffic Service Looks to Change the Future of In-Car Portable GPS
Link to article in the Calgary Herald:
9) GPS Saves the World – But Who'll Save GPS?
Link to column in Wired:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
10) Florida State Senator Calls Video on FDOT Website 'Horrific'
Link to story on WTSP-TV:
11) Neo-Nazi Group Adopts Delaware Roadway
Delaware DOT refuses to post organization's full name on signs.
Link to article in The News Journal:
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) Apps that Ease Motorists' Road Trips Also Raise Questions About Safety
Link to article in The Washington Post:
13) Ohio Considering 'Blue Alerts' for Crimes Against Cops
Link to story on WKSU Radio:
14) Indian-US Joint Venture to Produce Radar, Surveillance Systems
Link to article on Defenseworld.net:
Link to news release from Mahindra:
15) US Department of Homeland Security Pushes Public Safety Network for Emergency Responders
Link to article on Nextgov:
16) More Police Departments Look to Block Radio Communications from Public
Link to AP article:
17) Afghanistan Has Big Plans for Biometric Data
All travelers arriving and departing from Kabul airport must have fingerprints scanned.
Link to article in The New York Times:
18) Chicago Transit System Gears Up for Fare Collection by Phone, Debit Card
Link to article on Transportation Nation:
19) GPS Tracking of OC Transpo Buses Behind Schedule
Link to article in The Ottawa Citizen:
20) Bus App for Blind Developed at University of Washington
Link to story on KING-TV:
Link to more information on OneBusAway: http://www.onebusaway.org/
21) Beer Ads Come to Light-Rail Trains in Phoenix Area
Link to article in the Phoenix Business Journal:
22) Boost in Users Call for Better Mobile Website for Boston T
Link to article in Metro Boston:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
23) Mobile Apps to Help I-70 Travelers in Colorado Plan, Avoid Traffic
Link to article in the Summit Daily News:
Link to GoI70: http://www.goi70.com
24) Honk if You Agree There is a Difference Between Free Speech and Noise
Link to article in The New York Times:
25) US DOT Releases Connected Vehicle Core System Baseline Documentation
Link to further information from US DOT:
- Manager, Media Relations – Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority – Washington, DC
- Public Transit Operations Coordinator – Fairfax County Government – Fairfax, Virginia
T3 Webinar: Introduction to Cyber Security Issues for Transportation – December 7
Today in Transportation History
1961 **50th anniversary** Eugene Reybold, who served as the Chief of Engineers for the US Army Corps of Engineers during World War II, died in Washington, DC.
1976 **35th anniversary** The song, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot, hit #1 on the charts in Canada. Can you think of any other transportation-related hit songs?
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net