Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, November 15, 2013 – ISSN 1529-1057
We're Halfway There!
If you look three lines above you'll see today is November 15 and that means we're halfway through the month and halfway through the TCN fundraiser. Where else but the TCN will you find all the news and information about communications in the transportation field, along with favorites such as the "Friday Bonus" and "Today in Transportation History?"
A big thank you to all who have already contributed. Your support means a lot! For those still considering a contribution, please look below for information on how you can make a donation.
1) Boston Logan Airport Becomes First in US to Unveil Runway Debris-Detection System
Link to AP article:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/JF8BKO
2) New Control Tower at Boise Airport Dedicated
Link to story on KTVB-TV:
3) Articles from November Issue of Airport Industry Review
- The Threat of 4G Interference to Radar Systems
- How Airports Capture and Use Passenger Data
- IATA Checkpoint of the Future Could Revolutionize Airport Security
- Warsaw Chopin Airport Tweets for Success
- Profiles of Nominees for Innovation in Passenger Services Technology Award
BICYCLES / PEDESTRIANS
4) This Alarm Calls Your Phone if Somebody Touches Your Bike
Link to blog on The Atlantic Cities:
5) Sophisticated Weather Surveillance System to Girdle Coast of Tamil Nadu, India
Link to article in The Times of India:
6) A Look at How Technology is Improving Level Crossing Safety in the UK
Link to article in Urban Transport Agenda:
7) Investigation Says Train Warnings Fall Short of Texas Standards
Link to story on KTVT-TV:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) TSA Studies Emergency Response in Wake of LAX Shooting
Link to article in USA Today:
9) Telematics an Advantage with Driverless Cars, Says Progressive Insurance CEO
Link to Bloomberg article:
10) Solving Problems with Crash-Detection Technologies
Link to articles in Insurance & Technology:
http://goo.gl/AOofrt (part 1)
http://goo.gl/X9M3lX (part 2)
11) New Database to Help Find Owners of Lost Property on Sydney Buses and Trains
Link to article in The Sydney Morning Herald:
12) How OneBusAway Aims to Improve All Transit Apps
Link to blog from Mobility Lab:
13) E' Arrivato l'Autobus Interattivio, il BuSmart
Link to article on Udine Today:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
14) New Traffic System to Help Relieve Congestion on Pasco County, Florida Roadways
Link to article in The Tampa Tribune:
15) Florida Transportation Leaders Say Automated Cars Not Too Far Off
Link to article in the Tampa Bay Times:
16) Splunk, Ford Project Highlights Big Data, Automobile Mashup
Link to blog on ZDNet:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/62R2Y0
1) Transport Certification Australia Introduces Telematics In-Vehicle Unit Specification for Land-Based Transport Applications
Checks or money orders may be mailed to:
1 Aberdeen Court
Cranford, NJ USA 07016-2911
You may also donate online with a credit card via PayPal at:
Now here's an infotainment and parking assistance system I could use!
Webinar: Marking Roads Work Smarter with New Inrix XD Traffic – November 19
Today in Transportation History
1763 **250th anniversary** Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon arrived in Philadelphia to begin their survey of what would become known as the Mason-Dixon Line.
1963 **50th anniversary** The Vincent Thomas Bridge over Los Angeles Harbor opened.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2013 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net