Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, November 5, 2013 – ISSN 1529-1057
How Will Big Data Improve Transportation Planning & the Driver Experience?
Anyone can navigate traffic on a typical day, but who can recall a day that was free of collisions, unexpected delays, construction or events? INRIX XD™ Traffic provides a look at the next generation of urban mobility, a new system and new way of understanding traffic on a granular level with increased quality and coverage of the road network. This means traffic, incident, and alert data on ramps, primary and secondary arterials, and roads currently under served by existing technologies.
INRIX Webinar Nov 19, 2013
INRIX live-streaming panel discussion Nov 12, 2013
1) Europe Looking to Follow US on In-Flight Electronics Rules
Link to article in The Guardian:
2) New Airplane-Gadget Rule Reopens Debate on Yakking
Link to article in The Wall Street Journal:
BICYCLES / PEDESTRIANS
3) StreetSmart Campaign Hopes to Educate New Jersey Drivers and Pedestrians
Link to story on WMBC-TV:
4) Hamilton, Ontario Wants Eyes on Every Intersection
Link to article in The Hamilton Spectator:
Link to video report on CHCH-TV's Morning Live:
5) ITS Podcast Episode 7: ITSS Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference
Link to podcast from IEEE:
6) Tesco Petrol Stations Use Face-Scan Tech to Target Ads
Link to BBC News story:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
7) The Evolution of Citizen Journalism in Emergency Management
Link to article in Emergency Management:
8) Saudi Arabian Universities, Schools and Media Urged to Focus on Traffic Safety
Link to article on Arab News:
9) Effective Removal of Pavement Markings
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
10) Road Voyeurism Fueling Surge in Black Box Sales in South Korea
Link to Bloomberg article:
11) Telematics and Future-Proofing Strategies
Link to article on Telematics Update:
12) Insurance Telematics at Tipping Point as Execs Weight Ultimate Impact, Obstacles
Link to article on PropertyCasualty360:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
13) University of Texas Researchers Tackle Austin Traffic – With Help from Your Smartphone
Link to story on KUT Radio:
14) Killeen, Texas Council May Add Traffic Video Wall
Link to article in the Killeen Daily Herald:
15) A Center of Excellence in Cooperative Traffic Management is Born in Europe
Link to article from EPFL:
5) NTSB Finds Parade Float Accident that Killed Four Veterans Caused By Lack of Advance Safety Planning
6) NHTSA, Project Yellow Light, Mazda, NOYS and Ad Council Open Anti-Distracted Driving Video Competition
9) New York State DMV Expands Online Services to Include Viewing License Status and Ordering Document Renewals and Replacements
RailTrends – November 21-22 – New York City
Today in Transportation History
1893 **120th anniversary** Raymond Loewy, who designed a host of transportation items, including the GG 1 locomotive, the livery of Air Force One and the Greyhound Scenicruiser bus, was born in Paris.
1943 **70th anniversary** The Vatican was bombed by a fascist aircraft during World War II. It was the only attack on Vatican City, which was neutral during the war.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2013 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net