Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, March 28, 2014 – ISSN 1529-1057
April 6-8 is IBTTA’s Maintenance & Roadway Operations Workshop in Jersey City, NJ!
New Addition to the program – Mayor Fulop of Jersey City will welcome Delegates to the IBTTA Maintenance & Roadway Operations Workshop! A few other interesting program notes include an MUTCD (signage) update from IBTTA’s representative, Maurice Palumbo of the Golden Gate Bridge, and an overview of ASCE’s new sustainability ENVISION certification program. We’ll see how the Port Authority is dealing with post-Sandy damage AND have a special visit to the top of One World Trade Center and the Tribute Memorial. For the Technical Tour, come see how the Bayonne Bridge is being raised. The Port Authority will take the attendees on to the construction site and explain the process. We’re talking about Extreme Weather Management, Incident Management, Roadside Customer Assistance, Work Zone Safety, Pavement Technologies, New LED Options, Law Enforcement, Innovation in Asset Management and much more. Visit to check out the updated program and to register today!
GPS / NAVIGATION
1) Garmin Launches PND with DAB+ Traffic in Germany
Link to article in GPS Business News:
Link to news release (in German)
2) Waze Founder Faces Legal Battle in Israel
Link to article on ZDNet:
3) High-Tech Buoy System Tracks Galveston Bay Oil Spill
Link to article in Government Technology:
4) Maine Plan Would Remove About a Third of Highway Signs
Link to article in the Morning Sentinel:
5) Oklahoma DOT: Miscommunication Caused Traffic Back-Up on Broken Arrow Expressway
Link to story on KOKI-TV:
6) Transport for London Trials Touch-Screen Bus Stop with Real-Time Mapping
Link to article in Design Week:
7) Minnesota Valley Transit Considers More Wi-Fi on Buses
Link to article in the Star Tribune:
8) Smartphone Apps to Follow Victoria Public Transport Tracking Technology
Link to article in The Age:
9) Access to Tesla Cars Only a Password Away, Researcher Says
Link to Reuters article:
Autonomous vehicles – 1935 version
Middle East and North Africa Transport Congress & Exhibition – April 27-30 - Dubai
Today in Transportation History
1979 **35th anniversary** A partial meltdown occurred at the Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station, leading to a limited evacuation of the area.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2014 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net