Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, October 21, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
GEWI Launches New Website and Product Videos
In preparation for GEWI's 20th anniversary in 2012, a new version of has been launched. The new website allows users to locate information about and market information much more easily. A few new items you'll notice at the new website:
* Improved Navigation
A new menu which makes it easier to see what TIC is and in more than 125 projects worldwide.
* New Framework
A new website framework is used to provide more content per page, and organized into a MAIN information window and ADDITIONAL information window to keep the most popular GEWI content readily available to web visitors.
* New Videos
Product feature videos are now available for TIC features, TIC for , and , but this is just the beginning. In the future, more videos will be available not just for product features, but also for user training and customer support.
To discuss your project requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) FAA: LightSquared Quandry Stalling Early NextGen Implementation
Link to article on Flightglobal:
2) Ads Add Up for Airlines, but Some Fliers Say It's Too Much
Link to article in USA Today:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) Europe Launches Its Bid to Compete with US GPS
Link to Reuters article:
Link to video from EUX.TV: http://youtu.be/sMt2E06YI0Y
4) UK Royal Navy Unveils Cutting-Edge Warfare Training System
Link to BBC News story:
Link to video report from British Forces News:
5) Port of Houston to Add Optical Character Recognition Tech
Link to article on SmartPlanet:
Link to news release from APS Technology:
6) Why Computer Voices are Mostly Female
The default voice on most navigation systems is female and many transit systems use a woman's voice.
Link to story on CNN:
7) 5Star Responder Like OnStar for People
Link to CNET News article:
Link to further information from GreatCall:
8) UK Department for Transport Publishes Design Advice on Disabled Pedestrians in Shared Spaces
Link to article in New Civil Engineer:
Link to guide: http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/ltn/1-11.pdf
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
9) Delhi Police to Limit Their Facebook Comments on 'High-Profile' Traffic Offenders
Judge objects to posting of photos and comments.
Link to article in the Hindustan Times:
Link to Delhi Traffic Police Facebook page:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Feds Will Take Millions in Highway Funds if Idaho Doesn't Ban Texting for Commercial Drivers
Link to article on IdahoReporter.com:
11) Can Voice Recognition Make Telematics Services Safer?
Link to article on Telematics Update:
12) New Law Allows Electronic Billboards on Buses in California
Five-year pilot program could bring additional revenue to Santa Monica.
Link to article in The Argonaut:
Link to bill:
13) To Win Riders, Mass Transit Should Get Wired
Link to article in The Atlantic:
Link to report from DePaul University:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
14) Chandler, Arizona Tracks Traffic Through Bluetooth Signals
Link to article in The Arizona Republic:
Link to news release from the City of Chandler:
15) How Google's Self-Driving Car Works
Link to article and video in IEEE Spectrum:
16) Aftermarket Device Brings Vehicle-to-Vehicle Tech to All Cars
Link to article on CNET:
- Call for Papers – 20th International Symposium on Electronics in Transport
2011 Annual Polis Conference and Polis Annual General Assembly – November 29-30 – Brussels
Make your reservations now! Here's Airbus' concept of air travel in 2050.
Today in Transportation History
1961 **50th anniversary** The Pervomayskaya station in the Moscow Metro opened.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net