Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, October 27, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) FAA to Allow Pilots to Update Onboard Navigation Databases
Link to article in Aviation International News:
2) Now Boarding Nanny State Airlines …
Columnist George Will comments on the numerous announcements made in airports.
Link to column in The Tennessean:
3) Red-Light Traffic Camera Deals Under Scrutiny
Link to article in USA Today:
4) Articles from ITS International
- Scope for Inclusion – A look at trying to involve private sector in operating TMCs
- Familiar Acquaintances – Leading automated enforcement suppliers talk about how they see machine vision technology affecting the sector in coming years
- Seamless Transport – Carole Courne, Secretary General of International Transport Forum, discusses challenges and opportunities for the global sector
SAFETY / SECURITY
5) Safety Institute Addresses Ways to Keep Emergency Responders Safe
Link to article in Citizens Voice:
Link to further information on the Emergency Responder Safety Institute:
6) New Mobile Phone App Teaches Parents About Car-Seat Safety
Link to story on Cronkite News:
Link to news release from Phoenix Children's Hospital:
7) Latest Edition of Texas Transportation Researcher Focused on Safety
Link to newsletter:
8) Chinese Military Suspected in Hacker Attacks on US Satellites
Link to Bloomberg article:
9) New York City Cabs Surveying Riders via Backseat Monitors
Link to article in the Daily News:
Link to news release from the NYC Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment:
10) DC Metro Scrutinized Over Policies for Handling Emergencies and Getting Riders on Their Way
Link to article in The Washington Post
11) Tucson Sun Tran Riders Organize Union to Prevent Fare Hikes, Route Cuts
Link to article in the Arizona Daily Star:
12) Major New Players Line Up to Lead the Passenger Travel Revolution
Link to article in New Transit:
13) Blogs and Social Media Change the Conversation on Transit
Link to blog on Greater Greater Washington:
Webinar: Regional Concept for Transportation Operations – Practitioner Experiences – November 1
Today in Transportation History
1961 **50th anniversary** The Saturn 1 rocket was launched for the first time.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net