Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, October 24, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Traffax BluFAX deployed for real time monitoring of major commuter corridors in the Washington, DC Region
Traffax Realtime traffic monitoring technology has been installed in Maryland to provide travel times along the heavily traveled I-270 and its parallel arterial route 355. BluFAX augments existing monitoring technologies to bring integrated corridor monitoring and management to a new level in the nation’s most congested region.
This is part one of a two-part project that will cover over 100 miles of freeway and arterial roadways that form major commuter corridors in Maryland and Northern Virginia. BluFAX unsurpassed ability to provide accurate data on freeways and arterial roadways provides a complete real-time picture of traffic within complex corridors, and the means to assess the impact of traffic diversion onto arterials following freeway incidents.
Contact Traffax Inc. for more details at 240-447-8612 or visit
1) Air Technology Put to the Test at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's NextGen Center
Link to article in The Daytona Beach News-Journal:
2) Planned Installation of Video Cameras in Moscow Police Vehicles Welcomed
Cameras face inward to record discussions between officers and motorists.
Link to article in The Moscow Times:
3) ERTICO: Toward a 'Fully Integrated and Sustainable Transport System'
Link to article on Telematics Update:
4) ITS World Congress Showcases Game-Changing, Job-Creating Technologies
Link to US DOT's Fast Lane blog:
5) ITS and Locational Privacy: Suggestions for Peaceful Coexistence
Link to report from the Center for Transportation Studies:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
6) What Will Illinois' Regional Transportation Authority Get for $45,000 Public Relations Contract?
Link to article in the Chicago Tribune:
SAFETY / SECURITY
7) Does the New iPhone Siri Make Texting While Driving Legit?
Link to article on Stateline:
8) Technology, Laws and Sharing Experiences Help to Combat Texting and Driving
Link to article in The Courier-Journal:
9) Napa County, California Transit Agency Rolls Out 'Where's My Bus?' Technology
Link to article in the Napa Valley Register:
10) Rail Advocates Fault Metro-North for Keeping Mum on Riders' Rights Idea
Link to article in The News-Times:
11) New York MTA Eyeing April '13 for Citywide BusTime Rollout
Link to blog on 2nd Ave. Sagas:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) Cameras Monitor Major Muscle Shoals, Alabama Intersections, Bridges
Link to article in the Times Daily:
13) Bill Ford Sees Smart Transportation Systems as Answer to Challenges
Link to article in the Financial Times:
(free registration required)
14) Radar Detectors Will be Able to Warn Others of Speed Traps
Link to article in USA Today:
Link to further information from Escort Inc.: http://www.escortradar.com/escort%2Dlive/
15) With BMW Connected Ride, Motorcyclists Will Never Ride Alone
Link to article in Wired:
Link to video: http://vimeo.com/30374607
- Call for Presentations – AASHTO GIS for Transportation Symposium
- Request for Applications – Multistate Corridor Operations and Management Program – Federal Highway Administration
Content & Apps for Automotive USA – November 29-30 – San Diego
Today in Transportation History
October 22, 1986 **25th anniversary** Jane Dornacker, a helicopter traffic reporter for WNBC Radio in New York, died when her helicopter crashed into the Hudson River. Her pilot, Bill Pate, was severely injured.
1861 **150th anniversary** The first transcontinental telegraph line was formally opened.
1911 **100th anniversary** Orville Wright set a record for gliding by being aloft nine minutes and forty seconds during a 50-mile per hour gale in Kill Devil Hill, North Carolina.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net