Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, October 6, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Attend IBTTA's Facilities Management and Maintenance Workshop, October 23-25, 2011 in Nashville, TN
IBTTA's Facilities Management and Maintenance Workshop will explore challenges and solutions to operating a toll facility. Topics range from emergency management, performance measurement and bridge restoration to safety, design and toll collection in an AET environment. This meeting is ideal for toll industry professionals with an interest in maintenance, operations, security, technology, engineering, design. Arrive a day early and take part in IBTTA’s Community Service Project — Waterway Clean Up. On Sun., October 23, attendees will have the opportunity to assist Nashville’s flood recovery by participating in a special waterway clean-up project aimed at unclogging the natural water flow by removing trash and debris from a local waterway and its neighboring banks. Visit www.IBTTA.org/nashville to view the preliminary brochure, register, and learn about sponsorship and exhibitor opportunities. Register by October 7, 2011.
1) Dems Battle GOP Over Cuts to New FAA Air-Traffic Control System
Link to article in The Hill:
2) Medford, Oregon Airport Wants to Sell Ad Space on Tower
Link to story and video on KTVL-TV:
3) Cameras to Warn Rescue Crews of Trains Blocking Cambridge, Ontario Roads
Link to article in The Record:
4) Live and Direct from … Anywhere
Streaming video makes incident management much more manageable.
Link to article on PoliceOne.com:
5) Fleet Sector Risks Being Left Behind in Mobile Information Race
Link to article on FleetNews:
6) How Technology Can Reduce Traffic Congestion and Air Pollution
Link to article on SmartPlanet:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
7) Public Record Request Costly for Port of Kennewick, Washington
Request for travel expense records could cost over $100,000.
Link to article from the Tri-City Herald:
8) York Region, Ontario Looks to Social Media to Rename Highway 7
Link to story on CFTR Radio:
9) 2011 Traffic Signal Operations Self-Assessment Now Available
Link to further information from the National Transportation Operations Coalition:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Texting While Driving More Dangerous Than Thought: Study
Link to Reuters article:
11) One Radio, Multiple Standards: BMW, Eurecom Implement SDR Car Solution
Link to article in Microwave Engineering Europe:
12) Security Concerns for Next-Generation Automotive Electronics
Link to article in EE Times:
13) LTE Connectivity Expands Infotainment and Telematics Applications
Link to article in EE Times:
- Transit Supervisor – UCLA – Los Angeles, California
- Manager of Marketing – Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority – Boston, Massachusetts
Webinar: Connectivity and Mobility Platforms in ITS – October 10
Today in Transportation History
1976 **35th anniversary** Cubana Flight 455 crashed shortly after takeoff from Bridgetown, Barbados. The flight was brought down by two bombs which were placed on board.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net