Transportation Communications Newsletter
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
BlueTOAD™ On The Road
BlueTOAD by TrafficCast is the industry's leading Bluetooth™ traffic monitoring system. It accurately measures travel times, road speeds and route choice behaviors through anonymous detection of Bluetooth™ signals. Advanced software automatically calculates traffic data, in real-time or over time, displaying content in both color-coded speed maps and a dashboard format on a secure web interface. BlueTOAD can work independent of local power and data connectivity, install directly in traffic signal cabinets or even capture data for post-analysis. Speed studies, performance measures, before/after comparisons, Origin/Destination analysis all benefit from the robust data BlueTOAD delivers.
And BlueTOAD is on the road. Distributors are showcasing the technologies at regional trade shows across the country, including OTEC in Columbus October 25-26, the Wisconsin ITS-Forum in Milwaukee November 1, GRITS - Gulf Region ITS in Montgomery November 2-4 and ITS-Texas in San Marcos November 9-11. And, of course, the ITS World Congress - Booth #1771 – in Orlando October 16–20. For more information on these and other shows where BlueTOAD will be hopping, visit http://trafficcast.com/events/
1) Maine Turnpike Boss Touts Plan to Increase E-ZPass Use
Link to article in the Portsmouth Herald:
2) OmniAir Consortium Says Electronic Payments Services Interop Spec Developed, Tested
Link to article on TOLLROADSnews:
3) Maritime Safety Boost During Bridge Construction in Macau
Navigation guide, map and sharing of information for vessel traffic management system planned.
Link to article in the Macau Daily Times:
4) Can Smart Transportation Apps Curb Greenhouse Gases?
Link to article in Government Technology:
Link to report from CITA:
5) A Solution for a Vexing Question: Is This Cab Available?
New York City considers easier way to determine if a taxi is off-duty.
Link to article in The New York Times
Link to notice from the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission:
6) Travel Apps Top Performing Sector in Consumer Satisfaction Survey
Link to article on Tnooz:
7) Polis Newsletter – Autumn 2011
Link to newsletter:
8) More Roads Going High-Tech
Link to US DOT's Fast Lane blog:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) Amtrak Employs New Safety Program to Identify, Improve Workers' Behavior
Link to article in Progressive Railroading:
10) Las Vegas RTC Launches Tourist-Friendly Website
Link to article in Metro:
Link to site: http://www.rtcsnv.com/touristms/index.html
11) Using AVL Data to Improve Transit On-Time Performance
Link to article in the Journal of Public Transportation:
12) Effort to Test, Evaluate and Deploy Technologies to Automate the Measurement of Real-Time Border Wait Times at US - Canada Land Border Crossings
Link to report from FHWA:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
13) Green Light for Traffic-Control System in Galway, Ireland
Link to article in the Galway Independent:
14) Wyoming DOT Weather, Road Condition Warnings Apply to All Motorists
Link to article in the Laramie Boomerang:
15) Cadillac Bringing 'Gesture Recognition' to Touch Screens
Link to article and video in USA Today:
Link to news release from General Motors:
16) Germany Prepares for Big Car-to-X Communication Test
Link to article in automotiveIT:
17) Get IT Experts More Involved in Car Development
Link to commentary in automotiveIT:
- State ITS Engineer – Iowa Department of Transportation – Ames, Iowa
Intelligent Cities Expo – November 8-10 – Hamburg, Germany
Today in Transportation History
1961 **50th anniversary** US Air Force Major Robert White set a new altitude record for a fixed-wing aircraft of 40 miles.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net