Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, June 29, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
Director of University of Virginia Center for Transportation Studies (CTS) –
Applications are being accepted for a research faculty in infrastructure systems engineering to serve as director of CTS. Qualified candidates must possess an earned Doctorate in Civil Engineering or closely related engineering field. The CTS Director provides leadership for CTS, including oversight and development of the research program, and cultivation of relationships with federal, state, and local agencies, other university transportation programs, and industry. The CTS Director serves as the lead for CTS’s Transportation Training Academy (TTA), and will coordinate transportation educational offerings at the graduate level, while teaching university courses on a periodic basis. Apply on-line at: , Posting #0607156.
1) Trulia's New Maps Show Your Commute Time from Your New House
Link to article in Fast Company:
2) West Virginia Turnpike E-ZPass Transponders to Come with 10 Year Warranty
Link to article in The Register-Herald:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) When Getting Directions, It Helps to Know Where the Fig Tree Was
Costa Rica addresses its lack of street names.
Link to article in The Wall Street Journal:
4) Transport for London Call Center to Staff Strike Over Olympics Bonus
Link to BBC News story:
Link to RMT news release: http://goo.gl/w6RcZ
5) Transport Resource Center Established in Tanzania
Link to article in the Daily News:
Link to National Institute of Transport: http://www.nit.ac.tz/
6) Operations Performance Measures: The Foundation for Performance-Based Management of Transportation Operations Programs
Link to further information from FHWA:
7) Thinking Highways Introduces Thinking Aloud Podcast with Paul Hutton
Link to podcast:
8) Obituary for Job Klijnhout
Link to article in Thinking Highways:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) Michigan Officials Fight Drunk Driving with Talking Urinal Cakes
Link to column in The Detroit News:
10) Real-Time Truck Driver Tracking Devices – Would They Make Our Highways Safer?
Link to blog on The Legal Examiner:
11) Metra Offers Mobile Train Tracker
Link to article in the Chicago Tribune:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/oqSjO
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) IBM Engineers Develop Boston Traffic App
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
13) Did Mercedes-Benz Just Debut the Future of In-Car Apps?
Link to article on The Car Connection:
14) Ordering Car Features à la Carte
More customization and tech as a way to stand out.
Link to article on MarketWatch:
15) Weather Alerts Coming Soon to Smartphone Near You
Link to AP article:
5) Reial Automòbil Club de Catalunya Releases Improved Version of Traffic and Travel Information Site
6) Old Dominion University Researchers Applying Modeling and Simulation to Help Improve Air Traffic Management
2012 ACI-NA/World Conference & Exhibition – September 9-12 – Calgary
Some remarkable streets from around the world.
Today in Transportation History
1927 **85th anniversary** The Bird of Paradise completed the first non-stop flight from California to Hawaii.
1862 **150th anniversary** The Union Pacific Railroad was created when President Abraham Lincoln signed the Pacific Railway Act of 1862.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net