Transportation Communications Newsletter
Wednesday, June 27, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
The Quality Assurance program will embed data validation in INRIX's data license contracts, with experienced independent validators using proven and well documented methods established and used by the I-95 Corridor Coalition over the past four years. Find out how a QA Program would be created and executed for your agency. Register now for the June 28, 1:30 - 3:00 pm EDT webinar.
1) Delta Tests Turnstile to Automate Boarding
Link to article in the Star Tribune:
2) New Toll Booth Message on Garden State Parkway Seeks to Eliminate Confusion
Link to article in the Asbury Park Press:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) Waze GPS Service Coming to a Car Near You
Link to article in PC Magazine:
4) US Supreme Court's GPS Ruling May Have Minimal Impact Because Cellphone Tracking is Legal
Link to article in The National Law Journal:
5) Richmond, Virginia Port Using Real-Time Cargo Movement Technology
Link to article in The Journal of Commerce:
6) Inventing the iBoat
Link to article in Marine News:
7) Covisint, Detroit's Failed Internet Venture, is Alive and Well – and About to Go Public
Link to article in Forbes:
8) Travel Bookings Via Mobile Apps Soar
Link to article in Travel Weekly:
9) Planning and Flexibility are Key to Effectively Deploying Broadband Conduit through Federal Highway Projects
Link to report from the US Government Accountability Office:
10) Updates from US DOT's Volpe Center
- Joint Volpe-FRA Pilot Makes Measurable Improvements in Rail Safety
- On the Ground at Manchester: Making Surface Traffic More Visible
11) Georgia ACLU to Defend Ku Klux Klan's Bid to 'Adopt' a Highway
Link to article in USA Today:
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) When the President Comes to New York City
Link to video from The New York Times:
13) Click A Taxi Goes for Country Coverage Via App, Opens Up UK and Ireland
Link to article on Tnooz:
14) GO Transit Uses Art Train to Collect Ideas on Transportation Sustainability
Link to article in the Toronto Star:
15) MBTA May Sell Station Names
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
16) Can the MBTA Improve Operations Through Service Chain Optimization?
Link to blog from ClickSoftware:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
17) Stuck in Traffic? US DOT Wants an App to Prevent That
Link to article on Nextgov:
Link to notice from ITS Joint Program Office: http://goo.gl/7Wz4T
18) China National Radio Launches Expressway Traffic Channel
Link to article in China Daily:
19) Serious Buzz About Siri
Link to First Shift video from Automotive News:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20120627/VIDEO/306279924/1439 (story starts at 2:15)
20) Tennessee Hopes to Cut Down DMV Wait Time with iPad Kiosks
Link to article on Digital Trends:
Link to news release: http://news.tn.gov/node/9088
21) Modern Car Connectivity Takes Distracted Driving to Dangerous Levels
Link to column in The Star-Ledger:
2) Frost & Sullivan: Deluge of In-Vehicle Information to Trigger a Revolution in the Design of Automotive Display and Instrument Clusters
4) Ford Research Developing Intelligent System to Help Drivers Manage Stressful Situations on the Road
5) Over Four in Five New Car Buyers Admit to Engaging in Distracted Driving Behavior; Men More Likely to Take and Make Calls While Driving
Join me at 2:15 pm ET Thursday for a Twitter chat with #StoptheTexts, sponsored by @AdCouncil and @NHTSAgov. Look for #stopthetexts or @TransportComm.
Nondestructive Evaluation/Nondestructive Testing for Highways and Bridges: Structural Materials Technology – August 21-24 – East Elmhurst, New York
Today in Transportation History
1912 **100th anniversary** The Italian Army's first air force, the Battaglione Aviatori, was established.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net