Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, January 24, 2013 – ISSN 1529-1057
National Rural ITS Conference – Call for Abstracts
The 2013 National Rural ITS Conference Planning committee would like to invite you to submit an abstract for presentation at the Conference in St. Cloud, Minnesota. All abstracts must be received by Friday, February 1, 2013 and authors should take care to ensure that abstracts submitted follow the guidelines found here.
1) Legal Issues Related to Developing Safety Management Systems and Safety Risk Management at US Airports
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
2) ITS JPO Newsletter – January 2013
Link to newsletter from US DOT:
3) Blind Hiker Customizes GSP for Appalachian Trail
Link to article in Slate:
4) Some Fear Selling Tacoma Narrows Bridge Naming Rights Could Get Absurd
Link to article in The News Tribune:
SAFETY / SECURITY
5) Galileo Search and Rescue System Passes First Space Test
Link to article in Air Traffic Management:
6) PHMSA Makes First Responders' Emergency Response Guidebook Available as Free Mobile App
Link to US DOT's Fast Lane blog:
7) Boston T Riders Prove Happier When They're in the Know
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
8) Transit Riders Need to Demand Better Real-Time Departure Information
Link to blog and video on Mobility Lab:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
9) First Highway Message Signs in North Mississippi
Link to story on WREG-TV:
10) Bentley Brings Wi-Fi to Giant Mulsanne Sedan
Link to article in USA Today:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/wVJKz
11) How Hyundai Uses Video Game Gesture Technology to Fight Distracted Driving
Link to blog on Jalopnik:
3) TomTom and LoJack Form Strategic Alliance to Deliver Fleet Efficiency and Protection to More Businesses
Webinar: How Social Are State DOTs? The Evolution of State DOT Social Media Usage – January 30
Today in Transportation History
1963 **50th anniversary** A US Air Force B-52 bomber crashed on Elephant Mountain in Maine. Seven of nine crew members died.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2013 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net