Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) Articles from Airport Industry Review
- The 4G Threat to Air Traffic Radar
- Data in the Spotlight – How Airports Capture and Use Passenger Data
- AIR Innovation in Passenger Services Technology Award
BICYCLES / PEDESTRIANS
2) Clever Sign Gets Noticed by Following People Walking Along Sidewalk
Link to article on PSFK:
3) Norway Blocks Apple's Request to Photograph Oslo from Above
Link to article on ZDNet:
4) Articles from The Atlantic Cities
- Meet the Man Trying to Save the Lost Art of Hand-Drawn Maps
- Transit Map of the Day: See the New York City Subway System from Above
5) SunPass Now Available in Florida Rest Area Vending Machines
Link to story on WJCT Radio:
6) NHTSA Servers Restored After They Were Hacked Last Week
Link to article in The New York Times:
7) London Tosses Out Wi-Fi Sniffing 'Smart Bins'
Link to article on CNET:
8) Honda to Movie Industry: Don't Ditch 35 MM Film
Decision could lead to the closing of hundreds of drive-ins.
Link to article in The Hill:
9) Meet Streetmix, the Website Where You Can Design Your Own Street
Link to Streetsblog NYC:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Iowa DOT Plans Text-Blocking App for Teen Drivers
Link to article in The Des Moines Register:
11) Australia's RACQ Says Electronic Billboards a Road Safety Risk
Link to story on the Australian Broadcasting Corp. News:
12) Do License Plate Readers Prevent Crime or Create Privacy Abuses?
Link to story on PBS Newshour:
13) Golden Gate Transit Re-Brands and Re-Launches Security Campaign
Link to article in the Marin Independent Journal:
14) Research Shows Bus Passengers Determine Value on More Than Ticket Price
Link to article in routeONE:
15) The First Driverless Cars Will Actually Be a Bunch of Trucks
Link to article on TechHive:
1) 19.6 Million 'Secure Container' and 14.6 Million 'Virtual Machine'-Based Connected Car Infotainment Systems to Ship in 2018
3) Travelers, Northland Insurance, Virginia Tech Transportation Institute Discuss Top Trends and Concerns in Trucking
- Toll Operations Center Manager – State Road and Tollway Authority – Atlanta
IBTTA Global Technology Workshop – October 27-29 – Deauville, France
Today in Transportation History
1973 **40th anniversary** President Richard Nixon signed the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1973.
1983 **30th anniversary** Dallas Area Rapid Transit was created.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2013 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net