Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, August 19, 2014 – ISSN 1529-1057
Governor Rick Perry, Futurist Doug Stephens Lead
Powerful Program at IBTTA’s 2014 Annual Meeting September 14-17
Texas Governor Rick Perry and Doug Stephens, one of the world’s foremost retail and consumer futurists, head up an extraordinary conference program at IBTTA's 82nd Annual Meeting & Exhibition, September 14-17 in Austin, Texas. Gov. Perry presides over a state that has seen rapid adoption of some of the world’s most innovative transportation solutions. Under his leadership, Texas has consistently been ranked as one of America’s best places for economic development and expansion. Stephens’ thinking and analysis have influenced some of the world’s top brands, including Target, Home Depot, Crayola and Citibank. And there’s much more on the program, beginning with a fast-paced panel on the toll industry laboratory that has taken shape in America’s fastest-growing state: From managed lanes, to public-private partnerships, to innovative financing, to regional mobility authorities, Texas is trying it all, doing it all and breaking new ground for other jurisdictions. Click here for more program highlights, and register today!
1) Report: FAA's New Air Traffic Control System Unstable, Less Capable than Old System
Link to article in The Washington Times:
Link to US DOT Inspector General management advisory
2) Senator Rockefeller Questions Airlines on Fees, Privacy
Link to article in The Hill:
3) Windowless Jet Has Best Views Ever
Link to article on Thrillist:
BICYCLES / PEDESTRIANS
4) Most Boston Pedestrian Accidents Go Unreported
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
SAFETY / SECURITY
5) US Changing No-Fly List Rules
Link to AP article:
6) TSA Moves Toward e-Check of IDs
Link to article in FCW:
7) Pattern Recognition Algorithm Recognizes When Drivers Are on the Phone
Link to article in MIT Technology Review:
8) Entrepreneur Lights Up LEDs to Improve Car Safety
Link to article in USA Today:
9) Can the Auto Insurance Industry be Re-wired?
Link to blog from Strategy Analytics:
10) App Turns New York City Subway Maps Into Interactive Data Visualizations
Link to article in Fast Company:
11) One SEPTA App Shuts Down While Another Launches
Link to article on Technical.ly Philly:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) Traffic Cams Speeding Up Commuters in the Des Moines Metro
Link to article in The Des Moines Register:
- Program Opportunity Notice – Advanced Transportation Technologies – New York State Energy Research and Development Authority
TransComm Webinar: Creating a New Playbook, Washington State DOT's Unique Response to Catastrophe – August 26
Today in Transportation History
1934 **80th anniversary** The first official All-American Soap Box Derby was held.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2014 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net