Transportation Communications Newsletter
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 – ISSN 1529-1057
HERE to showcase connected vehicle, automated driving, and predictive traffic applications at ITS World Congress
HERE is a Nokia business with nearly 30 years of experience in collecting, processing and distributing vast amounts of map, traffic, and dynamic data to support consumer, automotive, and government transportation applications.
Please join HERE at ITS WC to see our next generation of automotive navigation and connected driving applications during ITS World Congress in Detroit on 7 – 11 September 2014 at Belle Isle or click http://here.com/business to learn more.
1) Denver Airport Goes Digital to Reunite Fliers with Lost Items
Link to article in USA Today:
2) US DOT 2014 ITS World Congress Update
Link to update:
3) Thousands of Weather Satellite Bugs Won't Be Fixed for Years
Link to article on NextGov:
Link to further information from the US Commerce Department Inspector General
4) Uber Begins Testing Lunch Delivery with UberFRESH
Link to article on TechCrunch:
5) Real-Time Sensor Networks Give a Voice to the Planet
Link to blog from PSFK Labs:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
6) American Trucking Associations Wants 'Unreliable' Compliance, Safety Accountability Scores Hidden from Public View
Link to article in Truck News:
Link to news release
7) As Oregon Meets to Strengthen Oil Train Disclosure, BNSF Questions Media's Presence
Link to article in The Oregonian:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) Oklahoma Devotes $100 Million to Improve Safety at Railroad Crossings
Link to article in the Tulsa World:
Link to news release
9) Connected Cars: A Big Data Headache or Opportunity for Insurers?
Link to article in Computerworld UK:
10) BART Got 10-Second Warning Before Sunday's Napa Earthquake
Link to article on GigaOM:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
11) Google Shows Traffic by Transportation Modes in One Card
Link to article on Search Engine Roundtable:
12) How Privacy Fears Are Driving Automakers in the Age of the Connected Car
Link to article on Autoblog:
1) New Cameras, Signs Provide Real-Time Traffic Updates Along Washington SR 539 and SR 9 Near Canadian Border
Oceans'14 – September 14-19 – St. John's, Newfoundland
Today in Transportation History
1859 **155th anniversary** The first commercial oil well was drilled near Titusville, Pennsylvania by Edwin Drake.
1939 **75th anniversary** The first jet aircraft, the Heinkel He 178, made its first flight.
1979 **35th anniversary** Lord Louis Mountbatten, former Admiral of the Fleet, and two others were killed when an IRA-planted bomb exploded on their boat in Ireland.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2014 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net