Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, February 13, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) US Bill Would Require Passenger Help at Airports
Link to AP article:
Link to news release from Senator Charles Schumer:
2) FAA Bill Requires Preservation and Sharing of Vintage Aircraft Data
Link to article on AvStop.Com:
3) Amsterdam Airport Deploys Real-Time Network Monitoring
Link to article on ComputerworldUK:
4) FAA Approval Paves the Way for Commercial Aircraft to Exchange Data with ATC Over HF Radio
Link to article in Military & Aerospace Electronics:
5) University of South Florida Study Slams Traffic Cameras
Link to article in The Tampa Tribune:
Link to article in the Florida Public Health Review:
GPS / NAVIGATION
6) Port Metro Vancouver Using GPS to Improve Truck Efficiency
Link to article in Truck News:
Link to news release:
7) ByteLight Believes Combining LEDs and Smartphone Apps Will Offer Precise Indoor Location Data
Link to article in Technology Review:
8) Singapore, European Commission Sign MOU for ITS Cooperation
Link to article on AsiaOne:
Link to news release from the Singapore Ministry of Transport:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
9) Closing the Bay Bridge? California DOT has an App for That
Caltrans asking residents to spread the word on blogs, websites and Facebook pages.
Link to article in The Bay Citizen:
10) Twitter Talk: Three Things 'Fake' Bridges Teach Us About Public Engagement
Link to Talking Transportation:
11) Metrolink Pushing Forward with System Designed to Prevent Crashes
Link to article in the Los Angeles Times:
Link to video from Metrolink: http://youtu.be/GIsQuoFXwe4
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) US Coast Guard Needs to Improve Use and Management of Interagency Operations Centers
Link to report from the US Government Accountability Office:
13) First Edition of HeERO Newsletter Published
Link to newsletter:
14) Zurich Risk Engineering: 'In-Vehicle Driver Behavior Technology is a Fundamental Component'
Link to article on Telematics Update:
15) Getting Familiar with Cadillac's Cue
Link to blog in The New York Times:
Link to more information from Cadillac: http://www.cadillac.com/cadillac_cue.html
16) Backers Hope Escondido, California Transit Center Kiosk Will Boost Local Business
Link to article in the North County Times:
17) Getting a Handel on Transit Crime
A number of transit agencies play classical music to deter criminal activity.
Link to article on The Atlantic Cities:
18) iBART is an Essential Riders' Guide
Link to article in the San Francisco Chronicle:
Link to iBART app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibart-free/id288656960
19) Articles from Mass Transit – February 2012
- The Technology Treadmill
- Digital Signage Takes a Ride
- Strict Narrowbanding Deadline Less than a Year Away
- When Should a Transit Agency Start to Worry About Its Technology Infrastructure?
- What Social Media Success Story Do You Have to Share with Others?
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
20) Institutional Architectures to Improve Systems Operations and Management
Link to report from the Transportation Research Board:
21) Arizona Lawmakers Mull Virtual Driver's Licenses, Driverless Cars
Link to Capitol Media Services article:
Webinar: Sponsorship and 511 – February 16
Today in Transportation History
1912 **100th anniversary** The hulk of the USS Maine was raised from Havana Harbor.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net