Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, December 3, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
Transportation Radio Debuts
Something to look forward to as we head toward 2013 is the debut of Transportation Radio. The TCN has brought you news from a wide variety of sources around the world, but until now there was little original reporting by yours truly. Well, that's going to change, starting today. I'm dusting off my old broadcast reporting skills to bring you on-location reports as well as telephone interviews. Initially, the reports will be in the two-to-four minute range but as we go on there may be some longer-form programming, as well. Some upcoming on-scene reports will include ITS America's Smart Parking Symposium and TRB's Annual Meeting. I look forward to your comments and suggestions. The first Transportation Radio report can be found in today's edition under the 'OTHER' category with a preview of a symposium being held by the Committee for a Smart New Jersey. If you'd like to re-use or link to any of my Transportation Radio pieces please feel free to do so. I just ask that you let me know and credit Transportation Radio. I welcome your comments and suggestions.
1) App Spotlight: Airport Guide Helps You Find Your Way
Link to article in PCWorld:
2) New Dedicated Website for Warsaw Chopin's Airport City
Link to article in Airport World:
3) This New Bike Light Goes the Distance
Link to article on The Atlantic Cities:
4) Google Dives Deeper on Vector-Based Maps with API Update
Link to article on ZDNet:
5) Poor Conditions, Better Communications on US Inland Waterways
Link to article in Marine News:
6) Preview of Committee for a Smart New Jersey's December Symposium
Link to story on Transportation Radio:
SAFETY / SECURITY
7) COMeSafety 2 Newsletter – November 2012
Link to newsletter:
8) Uber Faces Down Legal Trouble Pretty Much Everywhere
Link to article on The Atlantic Wire:
9) Report on Telematics from the LA Auto Show
Link to article on Telematics Update:
10) Mysore's Bus Network Becomes Smart
Link to article in The Times of India:
11) On Buses, Cameras Are Watching and Listening
Link to article in The Washington Post:
12) Articles from November 2012 Issue of Mass Transit
- BVG: Keeping Berlin Moving (see section of rider communication) – page 12
- Transit Agencies Must Work with Agencies for Emergencies and Security (page 16)
- TED Award Goes to The City 2.0 (page 34)
13) 2012 LA Auto Show Unveils Advanced Technology Showcase
Link to article on RushLane:
14) Three Years Until In-Car Voice Really Rocks
Link to article on CEOutlook:
15) How Ford Makes Its Cars Smarter
Link to article and video on CNET:
16) The Next Big OS War is in Your Dashboard
Link to article in Wired:
17) LA Auto Show Needlessly, Ludicrously Puts a Premium on Tech
Link to commentary in Wired:
3) Telematics Update Predicts '30% of All Insured Cars Will Be Using Telematics Devices to Determine Premiums by 2019'
Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting – January 13-17 – Washington, DC
Today in Transportation History
1927 **85th anniversary** Union Station in Erie, Pennsylvania opened.
1992 **20th anniversary** The Aegean Sea ran aground and broke in two while entering the harbor of La Coruna, Spain. Approximately 70,000 tons of oil was spilled.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net