Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, December 20, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) Bag Tags, Iris Scan Could Soon Come to US Airports
Link to story on WJLA-TV:
2) Florida Makes First Moves to Link SunPass, E-ZPass
Link to article in the Sun Sentinel:
3) Will Technology Eliminate the 'Personal Touch' in Fleet Management?
Link to blog in Business Fleet:
GPS / NAVIGATION
4) Galileo and Compass: A Tale of Also-Runnings
Link to article in GPS World:
5) Using GPS on Michigan Snowmobile Trails
Link to story on WLUC-TV:
6) San Francisco Pedestrian Plan Could Include Safety Outreach, Lower Speeds
Link to article in The Examiner:
7) IBM Builds a 'Flashing Pedestrian Crossing' to Emphasize Crosswalk Safety
Link to article on DesignTAXI:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
8) California Should Not Waste Money on Needless PR
Link to editorial in The Press-Enterprise:
9) Talking Safety: States Leverage Social Tools in Winter Travel Messages
Link to Talking Transportation blog:
10) Nine Technologies for Building the 'Road of the Future'
Link to blog on The Atlantic Cities:
11) Behind the Signs: A Look at the New York City DOT Sign Shop
Link to video from NYC DOT:
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) Study: Motorists Spend 18% of Journey Time Not Focusing on Road
Link to article on Road Traffic Technology:
13) China-Sweden Research Centre for Traffic Safety Opens in Beijing
Link to article on just-auto:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
14) New Jersey Turnpike Authority to Use Social Media to Promote Safe Driving
Link to article in The Star-Ledger:
15) New Jersey Turnpike Budget Has More for Signs, Less for Toll Workers
Link to article in The Record:
16) Traffic-Counting Device Puts Traffic Patterns in the Hands of the People
Link to article in Fast Company:
17) Built-In Car Seat Heart Monitors Could Keep Fatigued Drivers Off the Road
Link to article on Digital Trends:
18) CNET Announces 2012 Car Tech Awards
Link to article on CNET:
19) Cars: The Next Big Advertising Platform?
Connected cars are taking mobile marketing to a whole new level. Here's what to expect.
Link to article in Inc.:
20) Summary of Trucking Industry Mobility & Technology Coalition, US DOT Webinar on Truck Parking Issues and Opportunities
Link article in TIMTC newsletter:
5) Intelligent Transport System Designed and Implemented by CMC for KSRTC in Mysore, Karnataka, Wins CSI Award for Excellence in IT
- Request for Entries – Best of ITS Awards – ITS America
T3 Webinar: Road Weather Management Best Practices – January 30
Today in Transportation History
1987 **25th anniversary** The Philippine passenger ferry MV Doña Paz collided with an oil tanker. Both ships burned and sank and over 4,300 people died, making it the deadliest maritime peacetime disaster.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net