Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, May 9, 2013 – ISSN 1529-1057
When I announced the start of the biannual TCN fundraiser I noted that unlike public radio I won't interrupt the 'programming' to ask for your support. However, there is one idea from public radio that I have stolen and that's offering you something in return for your donation. No, it's not a CD from Les Misérables or a canvas book bag. Hopefully, it's something even more useful. For a $100 contribution you get an ad in the TCN and for just $25 I'll record a simple phone message, or something similar. Not only do you help keep the TCN coming every day, you can use me to help you communicate your message. Information on how to contribute can be found below. Thank you!
1) Group Calls for Improved Signage, Terminal Wi-Fi and NextGen Implementation for New York Area Airports
Link to article in The Star-Ledger:
2) High-Tech Times as Travel, Retail and Augmented Reality Hit Airports
Link to article on Tnooz:
3) Articles from Air Industry Review
- Extending ADS-B Coverage to Remote Regions
- Fundamental Changes SESAR is Bringing to Air Traffic Management
- How the World's Best Airports Are Offering State-of-the-Art Entertainment
4) How Much Do Automated License-Plate Readers Know About You?
Link to The Atlantic Cities:
5) Everybody Already Hates the Google Maps Redesign
Link to blog on The Atlantic Cities:
GPS / NAVIGATION
6) Wayfinding Signs Driving Downtown Manhattan Residents Up the Wall
Link to article in The Villager:
7) Auditors Tell Congress to Halt Maritime Worker Biometric ID Rules
Link to article on NextGov:
8) Traffic Technology International – April/May 2013
Link to magazine:
9) Motorists Face World's First Talking Parking Ticket
Link to article in The Telegraph:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Push to End Teens' Distracted Driving Targets Parents, Peers
Link to story from NPR's All Things Considered:
11) Amber Alert Technology Now Thwarts Many Kidnappers
Link to article in The Washington Post:
12) Aiming to Gain True 'Real-Time' Data from Trucks
Link to article in Fleet Owner:
13) TriMet Ticket Machine Bug Falsely Froze Thousands of Riders' Credit Cards
Link to article in The Oregonian:
14) Chicago Transit Authority Adjusts Ad Policy
Link to article in the Chicago Tribune:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
15) Reports: Facebook is Buying Waze for Up to $1 Billion to Court Mobile Users
Link to article on TechCrunch:
Link to article and video on Calcalist:
16) The Connected Car: Can It Drive the Recording Industry Forward?
Link to article in Billboard:
4) White House Highlights Minnesota DOT Office of Traffic, Safety and Technology as a Transportation 'Champion of Change'
5) Aviation IT Forum Recognized as the Major Communication and Networking Platform in Russia and CIS
Checks or money orders may be mailed to:
1 Aberdeen Court
Cranford, NJ USA 07016-2911
You may also donate online with a credit card via PayPal at:
- Request for Information – SHRP2 Safety Data Systems - FHWA
US DOT Road Weather Management Stakeholder Meeting – July 16-18 – Little Rock, Arkansas
Today in Transportation History
1963 **50th anniversary** The launch of the first successful satellite for the Missile Defense Alarm System took place at Vandenberg Air Force Base.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2013 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net