Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register for IBTTA Symposium on Mileage-Based User Fees and Transportation Finance Summit, April 29-May 1, 2012 in Jersey City, New Jersey
This conference combines the best features of IBTTA's Transportation Finance Summit with the depth of content from the Symposium on Mileage-Based User Fees organized by the Texas Transportation Institute and the University of Minnesota in 2009-2011. Sessions will explore the latest studies and pilot programs in mileage-based user fees and the diverse range of financing tools available to toll agencies, state DOTs and local governments. Conference Partners: Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota; Texas Transportation Institute and TRB. Co-Sponsors: I-95 Corridor Coalition, Mileage-Based User Fee Alliance and the Reason Foundation. View the preliminary agenda, make your hotel and travel reservations, and register today! Registration deadline is April 20, 2012.
1) Airlines Look to Satellites for Wi-Fi in the Sky
Link to article in USA Today:
2) Raytheon Devises a Way to Make Wind Turbines Disappear from Air Traffic Radar Screens
Link to article in The Patriot Ledger:
3) Articles from Airport Magazine – February/March 2012
- Sculpting the Message: A Brief Primer on NextGen's Untapped Marketing Potential (page 12)
- Harnessing Technology to Deliver Real-Time Customer Service (page 16)
- Next Arrival: Google Maps 6.0 (page 33)
4) Now I See: Visualization of Synthesized Safety Data Confirms Theories of Analysts and Investigators
Link to article in AeroSafety World:
5) Articles from CTS Research E-News
- Using Computer Vision to Count Pedestrians and Cyclists
- Seminar Explores Visual Accessibility of Indoor Spaces
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
6) State of the Media 2011: A Few Nuggets for the Transportation Communicator
Link to blog on Talking Transportation:
SAFETY / SECURITY
7) Automation is Considered for Checking IDs in Airports
Link to article in The New York Times:
8) New York City Plans Smarter Cabs
Link to article in Government Technology:
9) Fleet Management by App
Link to article in Fleet Owner:
10) Calgary Transit Launches Text Message Service
Link to story on CBC News:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
11) US Navy Trains Not Just for Terrorists, but Traffic
Link to AP article:
12) Heavy Use Crashes Arizona's 511 Website and Phone System
Link to article in The Arizona Republic:
13) Connecticut Radio Frequency ID Bill: Kin to 'Big Brother?'
Legislation mandates study requiring RFID tags on vehicles.
Link to article in the Hartford Courant:
- Vice President of Marketing for Roadway Sensors – Iteris, Inc. – Santa Ana, California
Conference on European Rail Traffic Management System – April 16-17 – Copenhagen
Today in Transportation History
1602 **410th anniversary** The Dutch East India Company was founded.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net