Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, March 6, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register for IBTTA Symposium on Mileage-Based User Fees and Transportation Finance Summit, April 29-May 1, 2012 in Jersey City, New Jersey
This conference combines the best features of IBTTA's Transportation Finance Summit with the depth of content from the Symposium on Mileage-Based User Fees organized by the Texas Department of Transportation Institute and the University of Minnesota in 2009-2011. Sessions will explore the latest studies and pilot programs in mileage-based user fees and the diverse range of financing tools available to toll agencies, state DOTs and local governments. Conference Partners: Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota; Texas Transportation Institute and TRB. Co-Sponsors: I-95 Corridor Coalition, Mileage-Based User Fee Alliance and the Reason Foundation. View the preliminary agenda, make your hotel and travel reservations, and register today! Registration deadline is April 20, 2012.
1) Pennsylvania Turnpike Tolling Could Become Fully Electronic
Link to story on WESA Radio:
GPS / NAVIGATION
2) Report: 70% of GPS Navigation Devices on Chinese Market Fail Inspection
Link to story on China Radio International:
3) Florida Ponders School Bus Ads
Link to article on Transportation Nation:
4) Human Infographic! Good Attacks Traffic in Los Angeles
Link to article in Good:
5) India Traffic Tracker Birds Eye Systems Gets Funding from CIIE
Link to article on Techcircle.in:
6) AMITRAN Project Needs Your Opinion
Link to article from ERTICO:
Link to questionnaire: https://app.lamapoll.de//AMITRANUserNeeds/
7) Traffic Technology International – February/March 2012
Link to magazine:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
8) Ad for US Highway Bill Channels Reagan, Clinton
Link to article in The Journal of Commerce:
9) ERTMS Reaches Croatia
Link to article in The Rail Engineer:
10) Amtrak Wi-Fi – Better, but Still Needs Work
Link to blog in the North County Times:
SAFETY / SECURITY
11) Arizona House Rejects Ban on Texting While Driving
Link to AP article:
12) Why Can't the TSA Be as Cool as the TSA's 'Blogger Bob?'
Link to article in Bloomberg BusinessWeek:
Link to The TSA Blog: http://blog.tsa.gov/
13) New York MTA Aims to Install Interactive Touch-Screen Tablets in Subway Stations
Link to article in the Daily News:
14) GO Transit Commuters Use New App to Navigate on the Go
Link to article in the Toronto Star:
15) Texas Capital Metro Completes Installation of Tech-Savvy Bus Signage
Link to story on KXAN-TV:
16) Do Real-Time Updates Increase Transit Ridership?
Link to blog on The Atlantic Cities:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
17) Vietnam Seeks French Aid for Building Traffic Center
Link to article on VietNamNet Bridge:
18) Transportation Coordination and Preparedness Protocols Strengthened in DC Region
Link to in the TPB Weekly Report:
19) 235 Cameras Linked to Dubai Traffic Control Center
Link to article on Emirates 24/7:
20) Interview with Radiate Media CEO Chris Rothey About Their Traffic Service and Partnership with Cumulus
Link to interview via Radio Ink:
21) SunGuide Disseminator – March 2012
Link to newsletter from Florida DOT:
22) Exotic Cars, Technology Rule Geneva Motor Show
Link to article on MarketWatch:
23) Electronic Age Forces Wholesale Rethink
Link to article in the Financial Times:
24) Articles from Light & Medium Truck
- Are Vehicle Telematics Worth the Cost?
- An Eye in the Cab for Safety
25) Reduce Market Fragmentation Through Platform Standardization
An interview with Rudolf Streif, Director-Embedded Solutions, The Linux Foundation.
Link to audio interview on Telematics Update:
84th Annual American Association of Airport Executives Conference & Exposition – April 29-May 2 – Phoenix
Today in Transportation History
1912 **100th anniversary** Italian forces became the first to use dirigibles in a war. They dropped bombs on Turkish troops in Libya.
1987 **25th anniversary** The ferry MS Herald of Free Enterprise capsized shortly after leaving Zeebrugge, Belgium, killing 193 people.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net