Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register Today for IBTTA’s Organization Management Workshop: Market, Communication and Policy Trends in Tolling – June 17-19, 2012 in San Francisco, CA
IBTTA’s Organization Management Workshop will offer a new focus this year on the trends in tolling and highlight best practices and innovations across a multitude of disciplines in the industry. Attendees can expect three exciting General Sessions, complimented by an External Affairs track focused on Research, Social Media and Community Outreach. We will also introduce a new track, “Trend Watch,” that will delve into major trends in the toll industry in areas such as Transportation Finance, Human Resources, the Environment and Research and Studies. In addition to information-packed learning sessions and networking opportunities, this workshop will feature a technical tour of the East Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge followed by a visit to the 75th Anniversary exhibit at the Golden Gate Bridge. If you’re responsible for the finance, HR, government affairs, community affairs, media and PR, marketing or administration in your organization, this meeting is for you! Visit www.ibtta.org/sanfrancisco to view the preliminary agenda, make your hotel reservations, and register today. The special hotel rate expires May 23, 2012.
1) Drones Up to 25 Pounds Allowed for US Public Safety Agencies
Link to Bloomberg article:
2) Recent Deal May Give In-Flight Internet a Boost
Link to BBC News story:
3) Got a Pirate Problem? There's Even an App for That
Link to article in The Maritime Executive:
4) Crete Connections – Using Social Media to Recruit and Retain Truck Drivers
Link to article in Commercial Carrier Journal:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
5) Working the Network: A Manager's Guide for Using Twitter in Government
Link to report:
Link to interview with report's author on The Federal Drive on WFED Radio:
SAFETY / SECURITY
6) New Emergency Alert System Using Billboards to Inform Houston-Area Citizens
Link to story on KUHF Radio:
7) High-Tech Command Center Opened to Combat Crime on West Midlands' Public Transport Network
Link to article in the Birmingham Mail:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/tYa6k
8) OnStar Patent for Technology Would Use 'Vehicle Telematics' to Target Billboard Ads
Link to article on The Blaze:
9) Railway Staff in UK Taught to Deliver Joke Announcements to Ease Commute
Link to article in Metro:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
10) Solving Traffic Jams with Math
Link to article on The Register:
Link to article in Tages Anzeiger:
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/zuerich/stadt/Die-revolutionaere-Idee-des-Professors-Der-Verkehr-steuert-die-Ampeln/story/20577286 (in German)
11) 2wcom Helps Drive Navteq Traffic Message Channel
Link to article in Radio World:
12) New Database Site Brings Transparency to Life in Israel
Largest database comes from Transport Ministry.
Link to article on The Times of Israel:
13) 2012 National Traffic Signal Report Card – Strategic Investments Make a Difference
Link to report from the National Transportation Operations Coalition:
14) GM Says Facebook Ads Don't Work, Pulls $10 Million Account
Link to article in Forbes:
3) FAA Partners with Aviation Community and Safety Advocates to Raise Awareness on Child Safety As Summer Travel Season Nears
Airport Facilities Management Conference – August 5-7 – Colorado Springs, Colorado
Today in Transportation History
1602 **410th anniversary** English explorer Bartolomew Gosnold became the first European to set foot on Cape Cod.
1912 **100th anniversary** Union Station in Tampa opened.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net