Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register Today for IBTTA’s Organization Management Workshop: Market, Communication and Policy Trends in Tolling – June 17-19, 2012 in San Francisco, CA
IBTTA’s Organization Management Workshop will offer a new focus this year on the trends in tolling and highlight best practices and innovations across a multitude of disciplines in the industry. Attendees can expect three exciting General Sessions, complimented by an External Affairs track focused on Research, Social Media and Community Outreach. We will also introduce a new track, “Trend Watch,” that will delve into major trends in the toll industry in areas such as Transportation Finance, Human Resources, the Environment and Research and Studies. In addition to information-packed learning sessions and networking opportunities, this workshop will feature a technical tour of the East Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge followed by a visit to the 75th Anniversary exhibit at the Golden Gate Bridge. If you’re responsible for the finance, HR, government affairs, community affairs, media and PR, marketing or administration in your organization, this meeting is for you! Visit www.ibtta.org/sanfrancisco to view the preliminary agenda, make your hotel reservations, and register today. The special hotel rate expires May 23, 2012.
1) Avatars to Assist Travelers at New York City Area Airports
Link to story on WNYC Radio:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/c3tmc
2) English Skills a Concern as Global Aviation Grows
Link to column in The New York Times:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) Trucks Use GPS to Anticipate Hills, Save Fuel
Link to article in Wired:
4) Washington State DOT Says Floating Billboards Violate State Law
Link to story on KING-TV:
5) In Los Angeles, Demand-Based Pricing for Curbside Parking Goes Live
Link to blog on SmartPlanet:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
6) Report Looks at Effectiveness of PSAs and Brochures on Effecting Drivers' Behavior Around Emergency Vehicles
Link to article on Responder Safety:
SAFETY / SECURITY
7) Industry Groups Look to Start Dialogue with TSA
Link to article in Government Executive:
8) Reality TV Show Inspired GM Partnership for Michigan's 2012 'Click It or Ticket' Campaign
Link to article in The Grand Rapids Press:
9) Could You be Sued for Texting with a Driver? Experts Say, 'Maybe'
Link to column on MSNBC:
10) Google Maps to Help Asheville, North Carolina Bus Riders
Link to article in the Asheville Citizen-Times:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/wdlVY
11) Development of a Regional Public Transportation GIS Architecture and Data Model
Link to article and report from the National Center for Transit Research:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) Smart Highways to Avoid Traffic Jams
Link to article from EPFL:
13) Nuance Launches In-Car Voice-Activated Platform
Link to blog on ZDNet:
14) Driving Into the Future at VW's Electronics Research Lab
Link to CNET Conversations video:
15) Mitsubishi Electric Develops Volvo's Infotainment System
Link to article in automotiveIT International:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/EW7aQ
16) Four Solutions to Improve Fleet Efficiencies and Keep on Truckin'
Link to blog on Software Advice:
17) How Self-Driving Cars Could Reshape Our Cities
Link to blog in Forbes:
4) Clear Channel Airports Partners with SapientNitro to Launch New Version of FlySmart Mobile Travel Application
OmniAir Certification Services Webinar on Toll Collection Technology Certification Program – June 8
Today in Transportation History
1912 **100th anniversary** The US Marine Corps began its involvement in aviation when Lt. Alfred Cunningham reported to aviation camp.
1962 **50th anniversary** A Continental Air Lines flight, en route from Chicago to Kansas City, was destroyed in-flight when dynamite exploded in the lavatory. The explosives were placed on board by a man who had purchased life insurance just before the flight.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net