Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, August 10, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
2012 National Rural ITS Conference
Less than 40 days remain before the kickoff of the 2012 National Rural ITS Conference! Held in Biloxi, MS, September 17th-19th, conference attendees will experience southern hospitality at its finest as the Gulf Region ITS Chapter hosts this year’s event. Held at the beachfront property, the Beau Rivage Hotel, guests can enjoy the Mississippi Sound while attendees take in the incredible technical sessions, training, professional tours, and networking opportunities! You can take advantage of early registration rates until Friday, August 17th! () We look forward to showing you "Rural ITS Southern Style."
1) FAA DataComm Delayed Two Years
Link to article on FierceGovernmentIT:
2) Indian Aviation Likely to Witness Some New Technologies
Link to interview in Express TravelWorld:
3) Dulles First Airport in US to Display Real-Time Security Line Wait Times
Link to article in the Washington Business Journal:
4) Google Introduces Flight Tracking System in Search Results, Using Your Booking Emails
Link to article on Tnooz:
5) Portland, Oregon Adds Bike Counter to Hawthorne Bridge
Link to blog on BikePortland.org:
6) High-Tech Camera Keeping Kansas City Cops Safer, Traffic Flowing Smoother
Link to story on WDAF-TV:
GPS / NAVIGATION
7) UK Highways Agency Trials GPS Data for Road Management
Link to article in The Guardian:
8) California Bill Bars Agencies from Cellphone Jamming
Link to AP article:
9) Uber Runs Afoul of Massachusetts Regulators
Link to column in The Washington Post:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
10) Content is King: Anytime, Anywhere, Any Device
Link to Talking Transportation blog:
11) How Amtrak's Government Affairs Officers Have Built – and Need to Continue Building – Better Congressional Relationships
Link to commentary in Progressive Railroading:
SAFETY / SECURITY
12) DHS Wants to 'Change the Game' On Public Safety Network
Link to article in Government Computer News:
13) Could Electronic Recorders for Truckers Improve Road Safety?
Link to article in Government Technology:
14) Self-Driving Cars on Horizon, but How Soon?
Link to article in Automotive News:
15) Connected Vehicle Technology in Iran by ACECR at Sharif University of Technology
Link to further information:
- Call for Papers – 5th IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Vehicular Communications
- Public Consultation – Charging for the Use of Road Infrastructure – European Commission
Webinar: FHWA Safety Data Dashboard and Community of Practice – September 6
Sometimes you need to think twice about the wording on roadway signs.
Today in Transportation History
1962 **50th anniversary** The Bell 533 helicopter made its first flight.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net