Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, August 7, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
IBTTA 80th Annual Meeting & Exhibition
Only 4 weeks left until IBTTA heads to Orlando for the 80th Annual Meeting & Exhibition. Be sure to make your hotel reservations today -- the discounted IBTTA rates at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek end on August 14th.
Register today and join IBTTA on September 9-13, 2012 to network with toll industry professionals and hear experts discuss transportation policies, technology, contemporary issues and innovative solutions to worldwide mobility challenges.
For updated meeting details, exhibit and sponsorship opportunities, technical and social tours and early bird registration information (before August 24th), visit www.ibtta.org/orlando.
1) Tesco Trials Virtual Grocery Store at Gatwick Airport
Link to CNET News article:
2) Tampa Airport Ambassadors Will Help Point the Way During Republican National Convention
Link to story on Bay News 9:
3) Saab Bids for Dutch Navigation Systems Company HITT
Link to article on MarketWatch:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
4) Communicating Transportation Issues: Do You Convince or Confuse?
Link to blog on Transportation Issues Daily:
SAFETY / SECURITY
5) Japan Airports Test Biometric-Reading System
Link to article on ZDNet:
6) TSA Seeks Friendly Avatar to Help Travelers Through Security Checkpoints
Link to article on Nextgov:
7) How to Generate Revenue with Insurance Telematics
Link to article on Telematics Update:
8) Rolling to the Future: New York Subways Get Wi-Fi
Link to video from the AP:
9) This is Why You Don’t Mind-Meld with Your Smartphone in the Subway
Link to blog on The Atlantic Cities:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
10) Android’s Rise Helps Google Grow Its Traffic Surveillance System
New cities being added in US and internationally.
Link to article in Technology Review:
11) Michigan Safety Study to Test Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication
Link to article in The Detroit News:
12) How Automakers Use the Brooklyn Bridge to Test Driver Assistance Systems
Link to article in Wired:
13) Articles in Automotive News
- Why Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications Will Improve Driver Safety
- Subscription Fees Won’t Deliver Connected Cars
14) Wireless Technology Keeps Fleets on the Road
Link to article in FleetNews:
4) Harman to Purchase India’s Interchange Solution to Expand Android-Based Infotainment and Telematic Offerings
Webinar: Inrix Analytics – Turning Traffic-Related Data into Information – August 16
Today in Transportation History
1912 **100th anniversary** Construction began on the first state highway in California.
1927 **85th anniversary** The Peace Bridge between Buffalo, New York and Fort Erie, Ontario, was officially opened.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net