Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, August 16, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
The New 'Gold Standard' of Vehicle Detection - Wireless Vehicle Detection from Sensys Networks
Tired of wasting your precious budget resources on inductive loops that keep breaking year after year? Or are you spending too much on video camera maintenance and cleaning?
Find out how Sensys Networks universal wireless sensors are saving hundreds of customers millions of dollars to solve their traffic signal control problems: Save time. Save money. And don't take any chances.
Click here to sign up for a lunch time technical seminar to hear about all of our new products and solutions - including Microradar for bicycle detection and our Cloud Connect Solution for remote intersection monitoring and data collection.
1) Breakthrough Radar System Helps Pilots Avoid Rough Turbulence
Link to story on ABC News' Nightline:
Link to video: http://soc.li/yT3LVK
2) FAA Rules Wind Turbines Off Cape Cod Will Not Affect Air Traffic
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
3) Cyberwars Reach a New Frontier: the Airport
Link to article in Bloomberg Businessweek:
4) Designing an Open Source Geospatial Solution to Manage Airport Noise and Operations
Link to Farallon Geographics' GIS & Geospatial Blog:
http://www.fargeo.com/blog/open-source-geospatial-solution-to-manage-airport-noise-and-operations (part 1)
http://www.fargeo.com/blog/flight-tracking-and-noise-management-using-open-source-gis-tools-part-2 (part 2)
5) Covered Pedestrian Signals at Woodbridge, New Jersey Red-Light Camera Intersections Raise Questions
Link to article on Woodbridge Patch:
GPS / NAVIGATION
6) Massachusetts Reverses Call on Uber Flap
Will let car service operate after shutdown over GPS device.
Link to article in the Boston Herald:
7) NOAA: Ship Noise Cutting Whale Communication
Link to article in USA Today:
Link to abstract in Conservation Biology:
8) Articles from Georgia DOT's Milepost Newsletter – Summer 2012
- GeoTRAQS Improves Tracking and Information Gathering (page 4)
- Creative Traffic Management on GA 400 (page 6)
- District Office Ready for 'Action' in Support of Film Industry (page 9)
- Anatomy of a HERO and His Truck (page 10)
9) Video Helps Beijing Police Punish Illegal Parking
Link to story on China Radio International:
SAFETY / SECURITY
10) Nigeria Turns to Technology in Attempt to Cut Road Deaths
Link to article in The Guardian:
11) Big Brother Takes the Wheel
Your insurance company wants to install a device in your car to track your every decision and move. Be afraid.
Link to commentary in Salon:
12) Kia: 'Mobile Carriers Will Play a Major Role in Telematics'
Link to article on Telecoms.com:
13) Telematics in Brazil: Security for Cars and Cargo, Part I
Link to article on Telematics Update:
14) Google Maps Now Features Schedules for Over 1 Million Transit Stops Worldwide
Link to blog from Google:
15) Studying the Connected Car on Two Continents
Link to article in Wired:
16) GM's Alicia Boler-Davis: Be the 'Best Company' in Customer Experience
Link to video on Automotive News TV:
2) EU Delegation Meets with Transport Certification Australia and ITS Australia to Better Understand Australian Innovations in Telematics and ITS
3) MTN Satellite Communications and Wireless Maritime Services Partner to Introduce First Maritime Voice Application
4) California's Metropolitan Transportation Commission Signs On to Effort to Upgrade US Air Traffic Control System
Local Transportation Asset Management Virtual Conference & Innovation Showcase – September 18-20
Today in Transportation History
1927 **85th anniversary** The Dole Derby began with eight airplanes taking off from Oakland, California. Only two of the planes made it to Hawaii.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net